New Teensy 3.5 based light saber kickstarter

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichaelMeissner

Senior Member+
I was waiting for a build to finish at work, so I decided to check out all of the open technology projects in kickstarter.com. Among the various projects I looked at, I see there is a new lightsaber project that uses a Teensy 3.5 to drive the unit. Hopefully in the 42 days the campaign has left, there will be enough interest to continue with the campaign:

As I recall, there was another company selling Teensy sabers (3.2 in this case). It looks like the V3 sabers are now sold out, and the creator has said he/she will create another run in a few weeks:

And here was an older post about making the saber sound effect:

I have no connection to either of these companies. I do hope both do well.

$400 Light-saber? ouch.

Yes, it does seem a little pricey. I'm not really into sabers per se, but I know in the custom prop field, things can get expensive. I went over to ultrasabers.com for a comparison, and basic sabers with sound ranged from $150-275. The high end off the rack sabers went to about $660. I'm sure custom sabers would go for a bit more.

As a comparison, Fredrik Hubbe's DIY sabers were more in the $100-150 range once you get all of the parts.

Last edited:
Nice effect with the lights in the blade

All my efforts to run pixels vertically like that have ended with dark bands or other artifacts, though end cap spoils things a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back