Teensy 3.6 5V and 3.3V workaround

Status
Not open for further replies.

fieryfire

Hi all i am powering a project using the Teensy 3.6. Since the USB connected to VIN is able to deliver 5V, and since this is cable of giving upto 500mA. Is it possible that i would be able to use this pin as a work around to my 5V components such as Voltage references that use 5V as inputs. The voltage references steps down from 5v to 3.3 V before feeding analog data to the Teensy 3.6 So it seems to me that this should be possible without any harm? I intend to use the Teensy with a PCB to be used as a data collector for strain signals and i was wondering if this were possible.

So in short, here is my work around -

I will be using the VIN from teensy to power the Voltage reference(LT6658 capable of output of 150mA). The voltage reference(at 3V) also would have enough source current to power 4x120Ohm strain gauges while also powering the XR18910 amplifier. The voltage Reference of the LT6658 will also be used as the external voltage reference to the Teensy 3.6. Would you be able to say that such a solution is viable. I would like to hear your response.

Model 1.jpg

Is it possible that i would be able to use this pin as a work around to my 5V components such as Voltage references that use 5V as inputs. The voltage references steps down from 5v to 3.3 V before feeding analog data to the Teensy 3.6 So it seems to me that this should be possible without any harm?

Yes, from the info here (not a precise schematic), I would say it's very likely to work, and extremely unlikely to do any harm. Well, as long as the circuit is built correctly and there isn't any sort of accident that shorts 5V to any of the 3.3V only I/O pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back