Issue with i2c_t3 interfering with wire declaration

Status
Not open for further replies.

bxc4031

This is my first post ever, so sorry if this isn't formatted correctly. I downloaded i2c_t3 from github and was trying to use it with my Teensy 3.6. I want to set up an I2C interface that has two slaves on the bus. When I compile it says that the declaration of Wire in i2c_t3 interferes with a declaration made in WireKinetis. This is the error that it's outputting:

Compiling 'TeensyMotorControl' for 'Teensy 3.6'

WireKinetis.cpp.o*: In function i2c0_isr
WireKinetis.cpp:805: multiple definition of i2c0_isr

Error linking for board Teensy 3.6
i2c_t3.cpp.o*: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\libraries\i2c_t3\i2c_t3.cpp:1317: first defined here
Build failed for project 'TeensyMotorControl'
ld.exe: Disabling relaxation: it will not work with multiple definitions

WireKinetis.cpp.o*: In function Print::availableForWrite()
WireKinetis.h:132: multiple definition of i2c1_isr
i2c_t3.cpp.o*: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3\Print.h:61: first defined here

WireKinetis.h:132: multiple definition of i2c2_isr
i2c_t3.cpp.o*: C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\teensy\avr\cores\teensy3\Print.h:61: first defined here

WireKinetis.h:132: multiple definition of Wire2
ld.exe: Warning: size of symbol Wire2 changed from 20 in C:\Users\Brandons pc\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\TeensyMotorControl\teensy36\Debug\i2c_t3\i2c_t3.cpp.o to 108 in C:\Users\Brandons pc\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\TeensyMotorControl\teensy36\Debug\Wire\WireKinetis.cpp.o

WireKinetis.h:132: multiple definition of Wire1
ld.exe: Warning: size of symbol Wire1 changed from 20 in C:\Users\Brandons pc\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\TeensyMotorControl\teensy36\Debug\i2c_t3\i2c_t3.cpp.o to 108 in C:\Users\Brandons pc\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\TeensyMotorControl\teensy36\Debug\Wire\WireKinetis.cpp.o

WireKinetis.h:132: multiple definition of Wire
ld.exe: Warning: size of symbol Wire changed from 20 in C:\Users\Brandons pc\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\TeensyMotorControl\teensy36\Debug\i2c_t3\i2c_t3.cpp.o to 108 in C:\Users\Brandons pc\AppData\Local\Temp\VMBuilds\TeensyMotorControl\teensy36\Debug\Wire\WireKinetis.cpp.o

collect2.exe*: error: ld returned 1 exit status

This is the code that I'm running with (the file name is I2C.cpp, which is the I2C.h):
//
//
//

#include "I2C.h"
#include<i2c_t3.h>

const int ClockSpeed = 400000; //Max Clock Frequency is 400kHz
const int Timeout = 200000; //200ms Timeout

// Temperature Variable
const int TemperatureAddress = 0x48;
const int TemperatureLength = 2; //Temperature Data is 2 Bytes
char TemperatureBuffer[TemperatureLength];
const int TemperaturePointer = 0x00; //To Read Temperature

//Pressure Variables
const int PressureAddress = 0x77;
const int PressureLength = 3; //Pressure Data is 3 Bytes Long
char PressureBuffer[PressureLength];
const int ResetPressure = 0x1E;
const int InitPressureSequence = 0x48;
const int ReadPressure = 0x00;

void Init_I2C() { //Initialize I2C
Wire.begin(I2C_MASTER, 0x00, I2C_PINS_3_4, I2C_PULLUP_EXT, ClockSpeed); //Set for Master Mode, Pins 3 & 4 400kHz Clock
Wire.setDefaultTimeout(200000); // 200ms Timeout
Wire.setOpMode(I2C_OP_MODE_ISR); //Set it to be an interrupt based operation
SetTemperaturePointer();
ResetPressureSensor();//This is done here in order to check if we can talk to the sensor

}

void SetTemperaturePointer() { //Set Pointer to temperature for temperature sensor. Only needs to be done on reset.
Wire.beginTransmission(TemperatureAddress); // Write to the Teperature Sensor
Wire.write(TemperaturePointer); // Write Pointer to the Temperature Sensor
Wire.endTransmission(); // End Transmission
if (Wire.getError()) {
Serial.println("Temperature Sensor Failed to Initialize");
}
else {
Serial.println("Temperature Sensor Successfully Initiliazed");
}
}

void ResetPressureSensor() {
Wire.beginTransmission(PressureAddress); //Write to Pressure Sensor
Wire.write(ResetPressure); //Reset It
Wire.endTransmission(); //End
if (Wire.getError()) { //Was there an error?
Serial.println("Pressure Sensor Failed to Initialize");
}
else {
Serial.println("Pressure Sensor Successfully Initiliazed");
}
}

remove i2c.h?
No that doesn't help. The source file I posted was not the main file of the project. The file I posted was named "I2C.cpp" with the header file as "I2C.h". I tried removing #include "I2C.h" and declare the functions inside the .cpp file, but the same errors remained. All I2C.h contains is the following:

// I2C.h

#ifndef _I2C_h
#define _I2C_h

#if defined(ARDUINO) && ARDUINO >= 100
#include "wprogram.h"
#else
#include "WProgram.h"
#endif

#endif

void Init_I2C();
void ResetPressureSensor();
void SetTemperaturePointer();

Again the difficulty is we can not see your whole program. As mentioned at the top of every posting, please post complete code that duplicates your issue.

For example what else is your program using? Does any of the files that you use include wire.h?

if so they can not exist in the same program as they both define the same objects AND they use the same hardware resources.

You have a few choices here.

Change all of your program to use i2c_t3, including any libraries that you might include.

Maybe hack up a version of wire library that you put into your <Arduino sketch folder>/libraries/wire, which tries to redirect everything to use i2c_t3.

Or simply use the standard Wire library and use the Wire2 object, which defaults to pin 3 and 4... But you don't have some of the other features of i2c_t3

You might want to mention that you are not building using the Arduino IDE... It has been awhile since I had visual studio setup,

Hopefully someone else who uses it can find where the dependencies are for this. I would probably look for places where you are including libraries and the like into the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back