Audio board alternative connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

urbanspaceman

Hi, just a question
i want to know if the only method to connect the audio shield is putting theme on top of teensy
or if there is a away to connect theme simply with give the i2c bus and the power.

Thanks

You should only need to connect power, ground, I2C (for codec control) and all the I2S signals for audio (MCLK, BCLK, LRCLK, data in, data out). I've done it on my teensy based TGA Pro but not with the official audio board.

Thank you blackaddr, the pins shared with the audio board, a part the i2c, are exclusive for the audio board or I can connect other things if I need?

Thank you blackaddr, the pins shared with the audio board, a part the i2c, are exclusive for the audio board or I can connect other things if I need?

I'm not sure I understand exactly what you're asking so you might need to rephrase. It sounds like you're asking if the pins on the Teensy that are used with Audio Board can be used for other things when not connected to it?

On the Teensy, many of the pins can be configured for different peripherals. The Pinout Diagrams for each Teensy board show what various pins can do (e.g. UART, SPI, I2C, I2S, ADC pin, etc). So if your teensy is not plugged into the Audio board, those multipurpose pins can be used for many different things.

Hi, just a question
i want to know if the only method to connect the audio shield is putting theme on top of teensy
or if there is a away to connect theme simply with give the i2c bus and the power.

Thanks
There are many different ways to connect the audio shield. You can mount it on top or underneath the Teensy, or even in a separate breadboard and use jumper wires to connect things.

For full functionality, you would need to connect:
  • Ground
  • Pin 6 if you are using a soldered memory chip on the board
  • Pin 7 for the alternative MOSI if you are using either the soldered memory chip or micro-SD drive
  • Pin 9 for the I2S BCLK signal
  • Pin 10 if you are using the micro-SD drive
  • Pin 11 for the I2S MCLK signal
  • Pin 12 for MISO if you are using either the soldered memory chip or micro-SD drive
  • Pin 13 for the I2S RX signal
  • Pin 14/A0 for the alternative SCK signal if you are using either the soldered memory chip or micro-SD drive
  • Pin 15/A1 for the potentiometer on the audio board (note there are capacitors and resistors connected to this pin that may complicate its use outside of being a potentiometer if you connect 15/A1 between the Teensy and audio adapter, but don't solder in a potentiometer on the adapter).
  • Pin 18/A4 for the I2C SDA signal. Note you can hook other I2C devices to 18/19 in addition to the audio board as long as the I2C devices use different addresses than the two I2C devices on the audio adapter (0x0A, 0x1A).
  • Pin 22/A8 for the I2S TX signal
  • Pin 23/A9 for the I2S LRCLK signal
  • 3.3v
  • Analog ground
  • VIN

I suspect without connecting all of the power, ground, I2C and I2S pins that you wouldn't be able to use the audio shield for normal sound processing. The SPI related pins (6, 7, 10, 12, 14) only need to be connected if you use the soldered memory chip or micro-SD card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back