COM-Port problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe show some pictures of the Teensy boards?

Yes Arduino 1.8.13 and 1.53 should work fine with each other.

Try a different machine to see if it works there? Maybe something corrupted on your PC?

Wipe of flash? I assume this was hold the program button in for something like 20-30 seconds until the program led sort of blinks and release? If so did the program led go one for a bit to completely reprogram the chip?
If so then did the chips main LED start blinking with the default blink program?

I sometimes have had luck with ones that did not program by holding down the program button while I plug it into USB. Then try to program it with blink program... I mostly did this with earlier Teensy boards like 3.2 which did not have the step above.

Initial testing... If I am having issues, I will often use a multimeter and do a couple of initial checks. Like from gnd to VIN/VUSB or VCC to 3.3v...
If that looks OK, I plug into USB, and verify I have about 5 volts on VIN. And 3.3v on the 3.3v pins...

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your reply and help. Yes, maybe it's not the board, and I will try to do the clean install of Arduino 1.8.15 and Teensyduino 1.54b.

In regard to your question about the flash wipe this is what I observed:
Did the red LED blink just before you released the pushbutton? Yes, it did.
Did the red LED turn on bright for about 30-60 seconds? Yes, it did.
Did the board return to orange LED blinking when it was done? Yes, it did.
Did the HID device appear in Arduino's Tools > Ports menu? This I can't say for sure. Basically this is what I see:
After the flash wipe, the Teensy 4.0 has the orange LED blinking. Now, when is plugged and before pushing the programming button, in Arduino, the Arduino's Tools > Ports menu is grayed (nothing to show) is the USB Type is set to Serial (see image: TeensyLoader and Arduino_USB Type serial - no Ports Menu.jpg).

Then, I am not sure what you mean with HID device appears in the Arduino's Tools > Ports menu. The only thing I see from about HID is HID raw in the USB Type Menu (TeensyLoader and Arduino_USB Type menu.jpg).
It could be the cable, but what I don't understand is why the same cable worked with a different Teensy board but not with this one.

You are totally right that there could be something wrong with my PC and the installation, but when I inspected the records from Windows about the ports that pops up when I connected the board (W10 Device Manager USB controllers status.png). In the file I shared earlier with the report from Windows 10 about the port, the errors occurred yesterday with this card. Then, we tested if my computer was working the actual system we need to do the data collection and it was working fine. We did all the testing and my computer worked fine with the other card. Afterwards, in the evening and also this morning, whenever I was plugging this card that is not working yet, Windows seems not being able to connect to it.

Okay, now, to help you more with the debugging, I will install the version of the software you recommended.

I will try to try again all the steps and see what happens.

Best, Massimo

In msg #22, you wrote this:

Also the errors I am getting from Arduino when I try to do an upload are:
"An error occurred while uploading the sketch
avrdude: AVR Part "imxrt1062" not found."

I do not see this in your screenshots.

Are you still getting this error? If so, please capture a screenshot of this error. Any error with "avrdude" is extremely unusual and unexpected.

I can tell you the most common problem is use a charge-only USB cable which has only 2 wires for power but lacks the 2 wires for data.

The screenshots and description is msg #27 is consistent with a charge-only USB cable. The software appears to be good, at least in the 2 screenshots. Teensy did the flash wipe properly, so everything appears to be fully function with the Teensy hardware. But nothing appears in the Tools > Ports menu, even when Teensy has completed the memory wipe and rebooted to the known-good LED blink. All signs (in msg #27) seem to suggest you probably have a bad charge-only cable which lacks data wires.

Charge-only cables are extremely common. Make sure you are using a known-good USB cable!

However, a charge-only cable would not explain seeing a message like "avrdude: AVR Part "imxrt1062" not found." There is no plausible way for that error to ever happen. Even if you have the wrong board selected, avrdude should never give an error with "imxrt1062". There is no known circumstance which would ever cause such a message to appear. I really want to see a screenshot of that error!

Hi Paul,

I will try to replicate the error I mentioned in msg #22 so that you can see it.

Regarding the discussion about the charge only USB cable, I did have one, but I did not mentioned it as I thought it was not interesting. When, I connect the board with that W10 doesn't even realize it. For instance in an image I attached earlier:
W10 Device Manager USB controllers status.png
You can see there W10 recognized that a board is attached to the USB port, but for some reason there is an error.
I think that because of that error, there is an issue in talking properly with the Teensy 4.0 board that I have with me today.

Regarding the cable, I am not sure if it is a bad cable as yesterday we collected data for over 3hrs continuously with an Teensy 4.0 board hooked up with and ADC board and a load cell for a calibration session. I bought two of these cables and from the manufacture they have data cables. However, I try to run more tests tomorrow when I will be in the office.

What I know for sure that W10 reported errors already, soon after I finished to do the installation of Arduino and Teensyduino. I didn't realize there were problems due to my lack of experience with such systems and Arduino. The reason I am saying that is that in the txt file I attached earlier (View attachment Teensy4p0_USB_COM issues 2021.05.20.txt) you can see that towards the end of that files there are errors dated 19/05/2021.

For instance "Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}"
Error 19/05/2021 16:29:27 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 411 None "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&3095c79&0&2 had a problem starting."

There are others with different statements. I am not sure if the Windows drivers are corrupted and not allowing the board to be installed.

Tomorrow, I will try to replicate the error I reported on msg #22 so that you can see what is going on.

Thank you Paul!

This is very likely something else in your computer, not Teensy.

What I know for sure that W10 reported errors already, soon after I finished to do the installation of Arduino and Teensyduino. I didn't realize there were problems due to my lack of experience with such systems and Arduino. The reason I am saying that is that in the txt file I attached earlier (View attachment 24848) you can see that towards the end of that files there are errors dated 19/05/2021.

For instance "Class Guid: {36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}"
Error 19/05/2021 16:29:27 Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-PnP 411 None "Device USB\VID_0000&PID_0002\5&3095c79&0&2 had a problem starting."

Windows assigns the ID "{36fc9e60-c465-11cf-8056-444553540000}" when it believes a device is a USB host controller, which would typically be built into your computer's motherboard. Host controllers can also come on PCIe cards. Windows can also assign this ID to USB hubs, but normally a hub would not have "VID_0000". Hubs have non-zero VID numbers. USB devices like Teensy also never have zero VID numbers (Teensy should normally use 16c0). VID 0000 normally means it is a host controller chip inside your PC.

Hi Paul,

I am attaching the screen captures replicating the avrdude error. It is possible that what I did it was not supposed to be done, but I thought to share it in case it helps others. To obtain this error, I went to the Sketch menu of Arduino and I clicked on Upload Using Programmer. I was not sure if I could do that, but I was so frustrated yesterday morning that I tried anything.

I am attaching three captures (the file names are labelled as step 1 - 3):

Test_to_replicate_avrdude_error_step1_Verify.jpgTest_to_replicate_avrdude_error_step2_Run.jpgTest_to_replicate_avrdude_error_step3_UploadUsingProgrammer.jpg

I hope it helps.

Hi Paul,

Good morning. I just finished to do more tests.
1. I tried to test a different Teensy 4.0 Board and it worked like a charm right after plugging it it. W10 recognized it perfectly, so the USB cable should be fine.
Please see some screen shots of what I did:
In this figure I did the verify and also in the Tools > Ports menu I could see the correct port: View attachment 24860
I also shot a video
so that you can see that the Blink example worked fine.

2. I ask a colleague in the lab to connect the "Bad board" to his computer and he also was not able to see it. Windows gave him errors as for me. I am not wondering about the possibility that the board (in terms of electronics components are fine, but maybe there is some issue with the connector. The is the only thing that even after a Flash wipe could be wrong with the card.

I am happy that at the end nothing was wrong my my computer and the cables.

I wish you a great day and thank you for your assistance!

Best, Massimo

Hi Kurt,

Yesterday, I did not thank you for your very kind and insightful comments.

I think that at the end the board has something not right. Pease see my msg #34 in which I tested another board and everything seems to be all in order.

Thank you very much and I am very sorry I wasted your and Paul's time.

Kind regards, Massimo

Hi Kurt,

Yesterday, I did not thank you for your very kind and insightful comments.

I think that at the end the board has something not right. Pease see my msg #34 in which I tested another board and everything seems to be all in order.

Thank you very much and I am very sorry I wasted your and Paul's time.

Kind regards, Massimo

You are welcome, and I do not consider it a waste of time. I enjoy trying to help out as I can. Especially when you are doing a great job on trying to get things to work.

Sometimes I will get strange USB data out of a teensy, if the program I have programmed it with totally screws up very early and as such does not send back a valid USB data to the host...

Again usually this should be resolved by the wipe (holding down the program button)...

Often times when I get into this state, especially with processors that don't have this reset functionality (like 3.2)... I will hold the program button down, and then plug it into the USB (or in my case I have a USB Hub with individual buttons to enable each port)... So turn on the port and then release the program button. In this case the program button should be lit and hopefully if you load up the Arduino IDE and look at ports you should
see something like:
screenshot.jpg
If so I then have the simple blink program loaded into the IDE and try to build that and download it... And then hopefully you will get the windows, a new .... and com port is assigned.

If you had not already tried it on a different machine, I would have suggested that.
Also if it worked on other machine, I would have recommended maybe tell windows to allow device manager to see all of the comm ports that are defined, even for hardware not plugged in, and then maybe delete as many of them as you feel like and see if that helps.

Again good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back