Command line teensyduino install?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This may not apply to Linux - but on Windows if Arduino IDE is UNZIPPED to a folder - and TD is installed there then that whole directory can be copied and used elsewhere without installing.

I just moved my new IDE 1.8.5 & TD 1.40 install to my old machine and tested it to work with that Directory being copied. I just had to approve Java operation to Windows on starting the IDE.

Thanks defragster - I took a stab at doing the same on linux, and I was able to unpack the binary using UPX, but I wasn't able to find a way to further extract the resulting ELF binary.

That sounds different? Windows unZip and TD installed in a FLAT directory - can be executed there - or moved to another machine with no work - just a copy.

defragster: Yeah :( Unfortunately, it seems to be different from the way the Windows one is packaged.

I'm new to this forum - do you know if there's a way I can @-mention Paul or any of the other PJRC folks?

Hi! I'm trying to debug the teensyduino package for NixOS (a linux distribution), which currently uses xdotool to automate clicking through the installer gui. Is there any way to avoid using the GUI entirely?

The Teensyduino installer writes many files into Arduino and modifies a few of the one which were already there. You could just run it ones and grab all the changes. As long as you end up with exactly the same set of final files, you'll get the same result.

But no, the installer doesn't support any sort of automation. A command line interface has been proposed, and seems like a pretty reasonable idea, but it's a much lower priority than lots of other projects. You can read "lower priority" to mean "unlikely to ever get done".

Hi Paul,

Is there any way I can contribute to getting it done? I'm a developer and a committer on this linux distro, so if it's a matter of manpower, perhaps I can get it over the hump. For example, you handed me a pile of source files, I'd be happy to take a stab at writing a commandline installer, which other linux distros might also find useful. If that's not possible, I totally get it - I'm sure there's a way to get the GUI automation working again :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back