How can I recreate a specific 'clacking' sound with the Audio Design Tool?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ein

I'm working with a Teensy 3.2 at the moment to make a replica movie prop. It has an ILI9341 TFT display to output some pictures and information. I'm also using the DAC Pin (14) through a SparkFun Mono Audio Amp Breakout.

Here's the audio of the prop that I'm referencing from the movie:

http://tindeck.com/listen/ofijs

When the device initializes, it does a sort of power-up whine effect which I have been able to produce without too much difficulty by using a waveform_sine object and sliding its frequency up. However, I also want to see if I can figure out a way to simulate the 'clack' sound of the device deploying. I know one way I could probably approach this would be to try and get the Teensy to play that audio file directly (convert to RAW, I guess, and put it on flash memory?) but I'm right around the limits of my flash memory on the device right now thanks to the bitmap data I've needed. I would prefer not to have to add extra memory to accomplish this (prop shield or similar) because I'm trying to keep the cost of this device low, on the assumption that I may have to make a couple dozen of them. I was quite happy that the waveform generation on the DAC pin got me a good approximation of that start-up whine sound effect as it meant I didn't have to try and budget memory for the audio file, but I don't know how to approach trying to make that clacking noise. Is there a programmatic way to simulate this sound?

many years ago i had a flash on one of my old school 35mm cameras that would make a similar "power up whine" as it recharged the strobe like flash. been a long time since i heard that. the other sound was to me a sharp hand clap, i guess that is the clack. if i was sound effects guy i would try 2 18" pieces of 2x4 kinda slapping them together to start. then have some drinks and see what else i could come up with. i know that was no help at all.

Looks like the "clack" part is only about 200 ms. Even at 44.1 kHz and 16 bits, a 0.2 second sample should consume only about 17K of the flash. Worst case scenario, a Teensy 3.5 or 3.6 would give you plenty of extra memory...

If you really want to try synthesizing it, I'd start with the white or pink noise and an envelope object having short attack, hold and decay for the sudden burst, then a very low sustain level and (maybe) a long release time.

The file sounds like it was recorded in a room with some echo. If you want that sort of effect, you might be able to get it with the reverb object, or maybe a delay line and mixers taking some of the taps, maybe even a tiny bit feedback echo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back