Anyone else seeing Serial problems with 3.5 recently?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monta

Short Version.

I can't get Serial out text to the serial monitor unless I first upload code and have a couple of delays inserted.

Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Related info.
Windows 10, (just patched this morning)
Teensy Loader 1.40
Arduino 1.8.5
Teensy 3.5

Code snippit

void setup() {

delay(1000);
Serial.begin(9600);
delay(1000); // necessary for Serial to work :(

Serial.println("Tone Out Version:06.3");

This isn't entirely new or uncommon. Update to Windows may have made a change in the timing? Try the code below.

Code:
void setup() {
  Serial.begin(9600); 
  [U]while ( !Serial && millis()<4000) ; // necessary for Serial to allow time for computer to see arriving port[/U]
  Serial.print("Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==");
  Serial.println(millis());
// ...
}
void loop() {
}

NOTE: using IDE SerMon the millis() printed was over 1900 after Upload. That is the time it takes the IDE time to see the upload complete and restart the Monitor and have the USB port recognized as online.

Last edited:
Anyone else seeing this or is it just me?

Seems to work fine here, no delays in setup() or before printing the first output.

capture.png
(click for full size)

If you'd like me to try your code, rather than this simple test, you'll need to post the complete program so I can copy and paste it into Arduino and run it here.

That doesn't show count==0?

My machine to a T_3.6 is taking 2000...2047 millis to leave "while ( !Serial && millis()<4000)" with above code when the IDE auto restarts the SerMon.

I can watch 'Reboot OK' and fresh open SerMon and see it at 400-500 ms. Above is slower than I saw before when it was under 800 ms for SerMon restart.

Without the !Serial wait the first print is lost.

Please consider that after an update, Windows will still be heavily occupied in the background, cleaning up, recompiling .NET assemblies, and so on, for several hours or even for days.
That’s why you should wait some time, letting your PC run these tasks and do a new compile/upload test after the resource monitor tells you that the system is definitively idling again which will most probably shorten the init time for the usb serial port.

This Machine is quite idle and been rebooted at least once. The slowness is the programmatic restart of the IDE SerMon - lowest above code shows is 1997 millis on multiple tries. As noted manual clean start of SerMon is faster so the device is there and ready.

This two second delay agrees with what @Monta saw in OP.

Plugging it in fresh with above code gets this to TyCommander which is normal showing 8 repeats plugging it in - where 400ms is the programmed time to get to setup():
Code:
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==420
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==419
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==413
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==421
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==410
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==421
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==414
Tone Out Version:06.3 :: millis()==411

** TyCommander version was old - note removed

Last edited:
Something in the IDE w/Win_10 I'd say - the transition from Reboot done to Re-Open of SerMon.

Got the new TyCommander installed - and integrated to Arduino 1.85&w/1.90BLD fix and it runs perfectly. Reset or Upload and it is online in ~420 ms like it always has been. IDE as noted when we pushed down the start sleep before setup() was IIRC ~750 ms.

I'm getting times all over the place;
typically 2000 -3500 with occasional "timeouts" (max millis in while conditional) although I remember seeing one 750 ms.

Tone Out Version:06.5 :: millis()==4500 //[code below]

I had rebooted a couple of times yesterday (after the windows 10 updates) and these are times from today.
At least this should the (!Serial && millis...) should fix the problem.

Thanks for the replies!

Related question?
When I hit the reset button on the Teensy 3.5 with the Serial Monitor up, I have to close it and restart it.
(It doesn't automagically reconnect)
Is that standard operating procedure?

-Monta

void setup() {
Serial.begin(9600);
while ( !Serial && millis()<4500) ; // necessary for Serial to allow time for computer to see arriving port
unsigned long x=millis();
Serial.print("Tone Out Version:06.5 :: millis()==");

while(1) {
Serial.println(x);
delay(1000);
}
// ...
}
void loop() {
}

Related question?
When I hit the reset button on the Teensy 3.5 with the Serial Monitor up, I have to close it and restart it.
(It doesn't automagically reconnect)
Is that standard operating procedure?

Assuming Teensy Loader is still running and still in auto mode, and assuming it successfully uploads the code again and reboots your Teensy, then yes, the serial monitor is supposed to reconnect automatically.

I just tested on Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 14.04) and Windows 10 64 bit (version 1703 build 15063.786). It's not working on Windows. Works great on Linux.

I'm pretty sure this worked on prior versions of Windows. Will put this on my list of issues to check.

Thanks Paul for your great support (and the Teensy product line BTW).

I move across platforms a lot, various Linuxes (what is the plural of Linux? Lini? Linux?) and various Windows platforms 7, 8.1, 10,
and I couldn't remember if the serial monitor autorestarted on Windows 10.

I installed two updates yesterday, I suspect KB4054517 "Cumulative Update", (as opposed to KB4053577 Flash Player :) )
Just FYI, in case it helps your future debug or other users.

-Monta

Assuming Teensy Loader is still running and still in auto mode, and assuming it successfully uploads the code again and reboots your Teensy, then yes, the serial monitor is supposed to reconnect automatically.

I just tested on Linux 64 bit (Ubuntu 14.04) and Windows 10 64 bit (version 1703 build 15063.786). It's not working on Windows. Works great on Linux.

I'm pretty sure this worked on prior versions of Windows. Will put this on my list of issues to check.

IDE SerMon has been Finicky on Windows after reprogramming since I started 2/2015 - including unplugging and re-plugging a Teensy - another reason I'm so stuck on TyCommander, for Windows it is basically 100% reliable for programming and reconnecting {plus added functionality of multiple Teensy Program and SerMon and reset GUI button}. I do try to suffer SerMon on updates at least a few times - and it seems to have been working well on Upload from IDE just 4-6 times slower to reconnect. But the latest TyComm 0.8.8 Release now back in place 'Tools / Integrated to Arduino' and as shown above connects with minimal wait after any restart. And AFAIK it worked for at least one MAC user that was having SerMon issues last week.

Thanks for the TyComm comments.
I wasn't aware of the tool; but my current project is using multiple Teensy's (2 at the moment, perhaps 3 shortly), so this might be very useful.

A quick look at it I'm getting ~480ms serial start times. (TyCommander 0.8.8)
It won't automagically reconnect serial after a board button reset, but it does with the GUI reset button, which is sufficient.

-Monta

Thanks for the TyComm comments.
I wasn't aware of the tool; but my current project is using multiple Teensy's (2 at the moment, perhaps 3 shortly), so this might be very useful.

A quick look at it I'm getting ~480ms serial start times. (TyCommander 0.8.8)
It won't automagically reconnect serial after a board button reset, but it does with the GUI reset button, which is sufficient.

-Monta

The board button will show Teensy in '(bootloader)' on TyComm? That button is not RESET but PROGRAM. It takes the Teensy OFFLINE awaiting code upload in HID mode.

I've made a first beta release of an ambitious redesign of the Arduino serial monitor and ports menu. It's meant to solve these long-standing issues.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/49831-Teensyduino-1-42-Beta-1

If you're still watching this thread and experiencing this problem, please give this latest beta a try. It's still a bit rough around the edges, as you can see from the known issues list. But it does already solve some of these problems, and my hope is to be able to fix every long-standing serial issue by the 1.42 release. Some of these problems only happen on certain computers or with specific setups, so I'm really depending on feedback.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back