Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Program Teensy from another Teensy?

Program Teensy from another Teensy?

We are developing an application using Teensy 3.2 that will be deployed in the field. In some cases it will be difficult to bring a full sized computer out to the field, so we need another method to upload new firmware (Teensy code). Is it possible to use another Teensy or another microprocessor to send the code, essentially replacing the computer?

I tried searching for this type of application but did not find anything relevant.

By the way, the current firmware does not fill the entire memory so it should be possible to store in one Teensy device the core program and another that sends the data to the target Teensy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by David M. Kramer View Post
    We are developing an application using Teensy 3.2 that will be deployed in the field. In some cases it will be difficult to bring a full sized computer out to the field, so we need another method to upload new firmware (Teensy code). Is it possible to use another Teensy or another microprocessor to send the code, essentially replacing the computer?

I tried searching for this type of application but did not find anything relevant.

By the way, the current firmware does not fill the entire memory so it should be possible to store in one Teensy device the core program and another that sends the data to the target Teensy.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Dave
    I've seen various threads about this over the years, but I don't recall which ones worked.

One thought that occurs to me to use to use a Raspberry Pi Zero W, with the Raspberry Pi OS on a SD card, and the Teensy hooked up to the Pi Zero W via USB. The Pi zero W supports wifi, and can run headless. You can run the command line downloader on the Pi, and download HEX files to the pi, and from there upload the Teensy. If you need to run from a wired ethernet instead of wifi, you could go up a regular Pi and/or include USB hub and ethernet for the Pi Zero. In theory you could even do the iDE and build a teensy app from the Pi Zero W, but it would likely take a looong time. However, downloading the hex file to the Teensy is doable.

One downside is you can generally only order one at a time (or a few at a time at Microcenter at a higher price per unit than getting a single Pi Zero W). At times in the past, there have been periods where you couldn't get any. So if you need to order lots of them you probably need to go up to the Raspbery Pi B2/3.

Is it possible to use another Teensy or another microprocessor to send the code, essentially replacing the computer?
    Yes, definitely. I did a quick feasibiltiy test some weeks ago: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/47783...369#post159369

It is possible using Teensy 3.6, which can act as a USB host. This cable is needed to connect the other Teensy.

Quote Originally Posted by luni View Post
    Yes, definitely. I did a quick feasibiltiy test some weeks ago: https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/47783...369#post159369
    Thanks all for the help and guidance! If I succeed, I will post my step-by-step methods.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
    It is possible using Teensy 3.6, which can act as a USB host. This cable is needed to connect the other Teensy.
    Hi Paul, in a previous post, you mentioned that you wrote a driver for this application for the 3.6. Can you point me to any documentation so I can see if it would work for us?
    Thanks again!
    Dave

I've uploaded code here. It's pretty far from what you might call "documentation", but that's all I have available at this point.

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/USB_Tester