Quote Originally Posted by PaulStoffregen View Post
I'm pretty sure Adafruit could make a Teensy clone or work-alike product if they really wanted. Limor has the hardware skill and Kevin & Phil B have the software talent needed. Tony & Scott (in Seattle) are also very capable programmers, as anyone can see by the results with their fork of Python.

Ethics and good business sense, rather than technical chops, are mainly what's stopping them from doing anything like this. First and foremost, Limor and Phil T are good people. They also have a very successful business model, which involves higher profit margin than Teensy, and a very different sales focus on novices and casual users, rather than the more advanced but relatively small ground of people best described as having "outgrown Arduino" and needing more powerful hardware & libraries.
Oh they certainly have the skill, but I specifically mentioned "polish". I never found any of their software polished and optimized. Especially not in the way Teensy stuff is. Likely they are always too busy on the next big thing. I didn't want to insult anyone. Sorry for any offence.