Reading SD card stopped working!

Status
Not open for further replies.

fhpage

I have a teensy 3.2 connected to the audio board. Everything was working fine - playing wav files with the program "...Do_More_While_Playing".
I then added code to read pwm signals(5V) from an RC receiver using pins 3,4,5 and ground. As best I could tell the audio board does not use these pins. Worked for a few minutes and then sound went to continuous hum.
Restarted, now get the message- "Unable to access the SD card". Tried another SD card. Same thing. Can anyone tell me if using pins 3,4,5 could have fried part of the audio board, or did I just get a bad board with a 5 minute life span?

Thanks...

Can anyone tell me if using pins 3,4,5 could have fried part of the audio board,

Those pins aren't connected at all to anything on the audio board. It's very hard to imagine how using they could damage the audio board!

or did I just get a bad board with a 5 minute life span?

Well, have you tried running any of the known-good examples? Maybe use testing with something like File > Examples > Audio > Synthesis > Guitar, which doesn't depend on the SD card to make sound output.

It's possible your audio board got damaged somehow, maybe by an unintended connection? But it's also quite possible you've just got something connected wrong. Maybe it's actually still ok, just can't work as things are wired up. We see this all the time, where things get connected to the wrong pins by mistake. Yeah, you told us you only connected to pins 3,4,5,GND. But experience has show there can be a big difference between what people tell us they did and what actually appears in photos when they show us.

I soldered the teensy and the audio board together with 2 "HEADER_14x1_D". It worked initially with this setup, no wires to connect. So, incorrect wiring is not the issue. I used a breakout board to connect to pins 3,4,5,GND. Once it failed I removed the pins on the breakout board and indeed tried known-good examples as I mentioned above: "Part_1_05_Do_More_While_Playing", and "Part_1_03_Playing_Music". Both failed. If the board works without the SD card, does not help me.
One interesting thing... I reformated a card, copied the wav files. Tried again. Passed the point of accessing the SD card but again got the loud hum or buzz. After that would not access the card. In all instances I was using the usb cable to computer for power. Thank you for the quick response... I am going to assume just got a bad board. Will order a few more and try again...

One other thing. I am reasonably good at soldering but accept that I may have done something (over heated) when I soldered the pins...
New to the teensy line. Having great fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back