Teensy++ 2.0 Hardware Serial Pins Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

leo60228

I know that I'm probably missing something obvious, but I was getting my Teensy from Amazon (a verified distributor), and they don't have overnight shipping on the pre-soldered, and I'm bad at soldering so I was going to solder as little as possible and run a jumper cable to my breadboard. My FTDI Basic clone is self-powered (which caused me much confusion when learning that the Arduino somehow turns on when applying 5V to 5V, even though it needs 7V of power and has a seperate VIN pin...), so needs 3 pins: DTR, which I connected to GND based on a suggestion on the Arduino forums, RX, and TX. I can't figure out if I connect RX/TX to D3, B3, some other letter-3, or there's just a plain old 3 that I'm missing. Does anyone know which one it is?

You should first hook your Teensy++2 to your PC with a USB cable (or power it with 5v and GND) and confirm that LED blinks. (PJRC ships with blink sketch already loaded). The T++2 uploads via USB and the halfkay bootloader. I'm not sure what you are doing with your 5v FTDI cable. if you want to connect to Serial1 in your sketch, then hook FTDI GND to GND, RX to T2 TX (pin 3/D3) and TX to T2's RX (pin 2/D2). If you are powering with USB cable you don't need to connect FTDI 5v. (The USB cable provides the Serial port, FTDI provides Serial1). If you are not using the USB cable, then connect FTDI 5v to 5v on Teensy.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html

if you are not soldering connections, you'll need some sort of clip jumper to make good connection with your Teensy. As you noted, if you don't like soldering, buy the pre-soldered version.

You should first hook your Teensy++2 to your PC with a USB cable (or power it with 5v and GND) and confirm that LED blinks. (PJRC ships with blink sketch already loaded). The T++2 uploads via USB and the halfkay bootloader. I'm not sure what you are doing with your 5v FTDI cable. if you want to connect to Serial1 in your sketch, then hook FTDI GND to GND, RX to T2 TX (pin 3/D3) and TX to T2's RX (pin 2/D2). If you are powering with USB cable you don't need to connect FTDI 5v. (The USB cable provides the Serial port, FTDI provides Serial1). If you are not using the USB cable, then connect FTDI 5v to 5v on Teensy.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html

if you are not soldering connections, you'll need some sort of clip jumper to make good connection with your Teensy. As you noted, if you don't like soldering, buy the pre-soldered version.

Sorry I wasn't clear! I thought about making it more clear, but I hoped people would understand; I have bought it, and it is arriving today, but the pre-soldered one wouldn't have came until tomorrow, which was too late. I need to solder GND, hardware serial RX, and hardware serial TX, and then run jumpers to a breadboard, as I don't think it would stand up. I'm using the USB for something else (I'm using my Teensy as a translator from serial data to a Nintendo Switch wired controller; someone else did this exact thing, but didn't share their code, and I'm trying to make something similar, but not the exact same). Thanks for the pin info, though!

Sorry I wasn't clear!

It's still not clear, but my best guess is you may somehow believe Teensy supports programming through the serial RX & TX pins. It does not. If that's what you're trying to do, to upload code to your Teensy by that FTDI cable, I can tell you with certainty it will not work. Teensy only supports uploading code through its USB port.

someone else did this exact thing, but didn't share their code, and I'm trying to make something similar, but not the exact same

Maybe your question would be clearing if you showed us that other project, and then explained the way yours will differ slightly. We can help you much more if we can actually understand what you're trying to accomplish.

It's still not clear, but my best guess is you may somehow believe Teensy supports programming through the serial RX & TX pins. It does not. If that's what you're trying to do, to upload code to your Teensy by that FTDI cable, I can tell you with certainty it will not work. Teensy only supports uploading code through its USB port.

Maybe your question would be clearing if you showed us that other project, and then explained the way yours will differ slightly. We can help you much more if we can actually understand what you're trying to accomplish.

Other project: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu3HEwc6Pwk Mine differs by running completely different PC code that will work similarly, but play a different minigame (Koopa Trace-Walking; I feel like it should work to find the limitations of my setup) instead of jump-rope. Specifically, due to the video issues he goes over in the follow-up video, he uses a more stable but hard

If you don't want to watch the video and instead want a summary of what the Teensy's role is, I'm trying to get signals over hardware RX/TX from my computer and then send them over a semi-custom USB protocol (which was already implemented on a Teensy by someone who did share their code) to a game console.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back