Teensy 2.0 versus 3+

Status
Not open for further replies.

pilotplater

Hello,

We've been using the teensy 2 and 2++ family boards for a flight simulator implementation at our flight school. We're looking to make things more modular with printed circuit boards from OSHPark.

My question is that I know the 3.6 and related boards are far more powerful, is there any special considerations for us though? If I run my teensyduino joystick code on them with corrected pinouts is it essentially the same but with more possible executions per second? I'm just nervous to switch over to these fancier boards and find out that teensyduino isn't actually the best way to run them etc. I believe my arduino code is using millis() for any timing crucial things so it's likely fine right?

Anything I need to know?
Cheers,
Andy

wD9glqY.jpg

Last edited:
If you are using millis timing should be fine, though you might want to look at ellapsedmillis as a short cut for some of this
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_timing_elaspedMillis.html
The big difference that would need to be managed is 3.3V logic, which depending on your design (swap pot/switch supplies to 3.3V) or really brain bendingly complex (if you have mixed voltage i2C devices).

Certainly if plan is to re think everything into a modular design transitioning entirely to 3.3V logic is the way forward, but if plan is to incrementally upgrade your pretty impressive setup that is harder..

if your worried about having 5v mixes hardware, go with a teensy 3.5, it offers 5v tolerancy, otherwise go for teensy 3.6 for 3.3v only hardware attachments

Thanks

If you are using millis timing should be fine, though you might want to look at ellapsedmillis as a short cut for some of this
https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_timing_elaspedMillis.html
The big difference that would need to be managed is 3.3V logic, which depending on your design (swap pot/switch supplies to 3.3V) or really brain bendingly complex (if you have mixed voltage i2C devices).

Certainly if plan is to re think everything into a modular design transitioning entirely to 3.3V logic is the way forward, but if plan is to incrementally upgrade your pretty impressive setup that is harder..

Yeah, it seems about what I thought, yeah I guess 3.3v is a consideration. Good to know there's not any traps for the faster processor. Neat timing library!

I don't think I'll have any problem switching everything over to 3.3v. Right now only a few pieces of the setup are running off the teensy, and it's simple potentiometers, buttons and encoders for the moment (we're slowly converting system-by-system away from the crappy old serial protocol). With the logic levels and supply switched to 3.3v I likely wouldn't even notice if I didn't measure it (teensy is powering the flight control pots and using internal pull ups on the buttons/encoders). It's interesting that you say 3.3v is better for modular design - I guess when you look at SD cards, gps modules, and similar peripherals they're all typically at 3.3v so it makes sense, hadn't thought of that! You're right though, that is a nightmare to switch logic levels - essentially can't do it for high-speed devices unless you have an IC for that. I'll have a good think of the future of the system and if anything *needs* to be at 5v for what we want to do.

Thanks!

I’d also suggest 3.5 if you might have and 5V signals coming into the Teensy.

As far as the joystick emulation and basic I/O, all Teensy models work the same way, if you’re using Arduino and the normal functions like analogRead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back