Installing Teensyduino on Raspberry Pi 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenorjazz

Hey Guys,

I just bought a couple of Teensy boards to build a number of USB midi controllers. I have been working with Arduino but the Teensy looks like a much better solution for what I am trying to do. For many reasons I am using a Raspberry Pi3 to do all the development. I should mention that I am a real beginner with Linux so a lot of the commands and processes are not familiar to me. I have already installed and have been using the Arduino editor and it is working well.

I am having problems trying to figure out how to install Teensyduino. I have downloaded the Teensy linuxarm installer but not sure how to install it. Can someone help?

Thanks

Hi and welcome,

I assume you already found it, but there are some instructions up on the pjrc website: https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html

Other notes:

a) Hopefully you installed Arduino IDE from the Arduino website and not using apt-get install... The apt-get install version is not a real arduino install and teensyduino won't install on it.

b) As mentioned in the above link, you need to install udev rules to work with linux. Assuming you are using a gui, you typically need to do something like right click on the udev rules link and use a command like save as. Once the file is downloaded you need to copy it to the right place.

c) You need GUI to install the teensyduino. Once you download it to your machine, you need to run it. The problem typically is, the file is not marked as executable. You can resolve this a couple of ways:

Command line, assuming you are in downloads directory, something like: chmod +x TeensyduinoInstall*

Or using GUI, you open a folder window to your downloads directory, you see the Teensyduino file and you right click and choose properties. Once the properties is open, you check the box that says execute this file... I think this is typically in the Permissions tab, and has a name like: allow this file to run as a program.

Once this is set, you can double click on it and it should run the installer. From here, like other Teensyduino installs, you then navigate to where you installed Arduino.

Remember everything runs much, much slower on Raspberry Pi than on regular desktop computers. When you run the installer, the brief pause that happens on a desktop (as the installer compresses itself to RAM) can be many seconds on RPi. Just give it a little while, as that moment can seem like it's crashed. Likewise, the first compile in the Arduino IDE after changing settings (eg, "rebuild all" printed in the console) is a great time to go get a cup of coffee, especially if using a large library like Audio. Ultimately it does work exactly like the regular Linux 64 bit X86 version, if you are patient. (I generally am not...)

While I was waiting for your reply I came across and interesting video explaining the process. He actually made a script to do all the necessary steps to get it to work.

Here is a link to the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB_JI8NZ7b8

I followed the instructions in the video, including downgrading to 1.6.11 because it would not run on 1.8.5, and got everything working. When I got done I saw your reply.

He said the Teensyduino didn't run on an Arduino Editor newer than 1.6.11 but your Teensyduino page says it will run on 1.8.5. If that is true then I am thinking I should be running 1.8.5 but not sure how to get back up to that level. Can I just install the newer version on top of the older version?

About using the pi...
I have both a Macbook Pro and a very powerful Windows machine, but I only use them in my music studio and don't even have them hooked to the internet. In the past I have had to rebuild the software on both these machines because of bad drivers and malware. It takes many weeks to get everything back up and running correctly so I want to keep them as pristine as possible. I bought the Raspberry Pi to do my development on because it is easy to rebuild if I have to. Also if I do some really bone head thing burn up pi because I wired something wrong, it's cheap enough to replace. I am willing to take the hit on performance as long as it will work. I will admit that I am looking for a better performing box to run Linux on but don't have the money right now.

Just download Teensyduino 1.40 (or 1.41-beta2) and Arduino 1.8.5. Extract Ardiuno and remember the location where it is (you need this when running the installer), then run the Teensyduino installer.

Each Teensyduino installer only works with specific versions of Arduino. You can see this info if you read the intro page (which most people ignore and just click to start installing). My guess is you used an old installer to work with that old version of Arduino. That's ok, but you'll be missing the many improvements and bug fixes which have been made since those old versions.

I figured there were a number of fixes and improvements so that is why I wanted to get to the latest versions.

When I do install Teensyduino 1.40 and Arduino 1.8.5 what happens to the old versions? Space is premium on the Pi so don't want anything I am not using on the machine.

Each copy of Arduino is distinct. When you extract 1.8.5, by default it will be a new folder with a new name. The old copy you extracted earlier remains. You can easily see this if you view the folders, either with "ls" in a terminal or using a GUI file manager (similar to Mac & Windows).

Each install of Teensyduino is to one distinct copy of Arduino.

If you have more than 1 copy of Arduino on your computer, it can be difficult to keep a mental idea of which one you're really using. Click Help > About to see the version of Arduino and which version of Teensyduino (if any) is installed within that copy of Arduino.

Thanks for the help. In the end I started over by reinstalling everything including Raspbian, so I was sure there were no left over bits of code that might confuse me. Everything is up and running correctly so my next task is to create some kind of midi monitor, on the Pi, to test my circuits.

Just download Teensyduino 1.40 (or 1.41-beta2) and Arduino 1.8.5. Extract Ardiuno and remember the location where it is (you need this when running the installer), then run the Teensyduino installer.

Each Teensyduino installer only works with specific versions of Arduino. You can see this info if you read the intro page (which most people ignore and just click to start installing). My guess is you used an old installer to work with that old version of Arduino. That's ok, but you'll be missing the many improvements and bug fixes which have been made since those old versions.

Thank you so much for the solution Paul. I've now successfully been able to install Teensyduino on RPi 3 :)

Paul was right... Using a Raspberry Pi to program an Arduino is blazingly SLOW. As my sketches became even slightly more complex the Pi started to fall on it's knees. I came to the realization that I am to old to sit and watch a Pi suffer so much, so I went out and purchased a used i7 laptop. The added bonus is that with the laptop I can do all my midi testing and don't have to subject my music studio computers to possible mishaps. Life is beautiful again!!!

Thanks for your solution. It worked for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back