Teensy 3.6: USB host female cable in EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

XFer

Hello,
I can't seem to find a proper USB host female cable for my new Teensy 3.6 (with separate pins, to be connected to Teensy headers), here in EU.
I only find (useless) complete cables with USB connectors at both ends.
Purchasing from overseas is not a viable option unfortunately.

Any suggestion/link?

Thanks a lot!

Fernando

The 5 pins on for USB host on Teensy 3.6 are the same as the USB2 connectors on virtually all PC motherboards. Usually those connectors have 10 pins for two USB ports.

usb2.jpg

Almost any USB2 motherboard-to-panel cable can work. If it has 10 pins, just plug one side into the 5 pins on Teensy 3.6.

The two pins furthest from the micro-usb connector on the Teensy are both grounded, you only need one of those. Be careful with orientation when plugging in. 5V is closest to the onboard micro-usb port.

Last edited:
The two pins furthest from the micro-usb connector on the Teensy are both grounded, you only need one of those. Be careful with orientation when plugging in. 5V is closest to the onboard micro-usb port.

So I just need 4 pins to get USB Host functionality?

So I just need 4 pins to get USB Host functionality?

Yes. In the picture neurofun posted, carefully look at the connector. There are only four wires, the connectors lowest position is empty.

You can also see this on the teensy pinout diagram when looking at the teeensy 3.6 back side. The five pins are labeled GND, GND, DP, DM, 5V. As you can see, GND is there twice, you only need to connect to one of those (usually one chooses the one closer to the other pins).

Ben

Excellent news, thanks!
I thought the fifth pin was needed to switch between USB Host and USB Device mode (OTG port).

Nope, the 5th pin is merely for the cable's shield, which connects to the same GND and the black wire in the cable.

I didn't make this up. It's the de-facto standard for USB2 host that's been used on PC motherboards for many years.

While designing Teensy 3.6, many many times I thought about just putting the 4 necessary pads on the board, or using a smaller connector and we would get custom cables made. Those 5 pins take up an enormous amount of the very limited space on Teensy 3.6, but in the end it seemed worthwhile to put the full size all-5 layout on the board so these very common cables would be usable.

When/if we ever make a Teensy model in the 28 pin form factor which has USB host, I'm sure some other much smaller connection will be needed to make it fit....

Just for the record, in my case I found it harder to source 5-pins USB cables than 4-pins ones. Just my 2 cents. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back