Multiplexer with 3.3v logic

Status
Not open for further replies.

tenorjazz

I'm looking for a 16 chancel Multiplexer that can be controlled with 3.3v logic. I am looking for one that you can plug into a prototype breadboard, not surface mount. Can someone point me in the right direction?

That would be the 74HCT4067. Read the part at the bottom of this page why you'd want the HCT version. If there's no 5V available there's always the HC version.

Kind regards,

Gerrit

Sparkfun makes a breadboard friendly breakout board
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9056

Works fine without HCT version if you're all in 3.3 volts.

It's only if using as an output MUX triggering 5 volt digital that you'd need the 'T' version (and then you need to power it with 5v anyway).

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I also found something that looks very interesting, it's an I2C controlled multplexer (MCP23017), and being I2C it will use even less pins. I do wonder about the performance compared to a 74HCT4067. I ordered some to see how they work.

There is also an SPI version of that chip (MCP23S17). It is chainable with up to 8 chips on the single SPI bus.

if you plan to chain more than 4 of the SPI version take a look at their errata document, the upper addresses need a different initialization start byte.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back