Desolder RESET button of teensy3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.

pcko93

Hello all,

This is the first time I'm posting in this forum but I have been using teensy3.6 for some time now and I have found plenty of solutions to my problems here.

My problem is that I need to desolder the hardware RESET button because of high vibration on the unit that I will mount it, which could potentially trigger it by accident. Is it possible or will it affect the functionality of the teensy3.6? Do I need any jumpers?

I appreciate any of your help or suggestions and sincerely wish you a fruitful year in your electronics projects!

Best regards,
PK

Last edited:
Yes, Teensy can work without the pushbutton. I've personally removed it a few times when I wanted to put a Teensy inside a space where the height of the button wouldn't fit.

While unrelated to your original question, it's probably also worth mentioning the button is "Program", not "Reset". It puts Teensy into programming mode. Every Teensy has this button so you can recover from running any program which disables the USB communication. If your PC can't get Teensy to enter programming mode by a USB request, then you need to press the button.

Thank you very much Paul! I really appreciate your fast answer!

So, if I run teensy on external 5vdc and this gets accidentally pressed due to vibration, will it affect the runtime, given that real-serial (usb) is not in use / not connected? I am using only Serial1 (UART) for my project during runtime. Maybe I can avoid the hassle of desoldering it if it doesn't affect my runtime since it doesn't actually reset the board?

Best regards,
PK

i have teensy 3.5 in a daily mobile environment, the button never self-triggers regardless of vibration, perhaps a good test would be attaching one to a paint can gallon and putting it in the machine shaker is a good test? :)

Hey tonton81,

Thanks for the input but I don't want to risk it because it will be running on an expensive prototype that might fail irreversibly if teensy goes to programming mode accidentally ;)

Best regards,
PK

Hey tonton81,

Thanks for the input but I don't want to risk it because it will be running on an expensive prototype that might fail irreversibly if teensy goes to programming mode accidentally ;)

Best regards,
PK

Well,
then you have to consider that the T3.6 is BGA chip, and there are reports in this forum that bending may disconnect some pins.
So better not to use BGA chips is such a critical environment.
Anyhow, if vibration is concern, vibration isolation is a MUST for food engineering, right?

Hey WMXZ,

Thanks for the heads-up on the bending issue! I'm afraid I have already designed my pcb around a teensy3.6 board, so at this point I have to go with it. I just need to minimize chance of failure!

I never mentioned food though hehe , it's a space application for my university :)

Best regards,
PK

Okay guys as a feedback I managed to desolder the button in less than 5', it was super easy and teensy still works flawlessly. Button was destroyed (melted) in the process so if you want to put it back, forget about it ! thanks for all your replies!

Best regards,
PK

you still have access to the programming pin near where the button was, in case u ever need it labeled ‘P’.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back