Alternatives to FLIR Lepton/Lepton 3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ariesboy571

Hey all. So...I've been puzzling through the documentation for the FLIR Lepton and Lepton 3 cameras. Although I've made some traction with the "common" Lepton (the 80x60), I've not been able to get the Lepton 3 (160x120) to work consistently at all. One of my problems is the documentation: in it, they maintain that the fastest the camera's SPI bus can go is 20MHz/Mode 3, but the only real, consistent success I've had, using the 80x60 Lepton on a Teensy 3.6, is running it at 40MHz, Mode 0. And the only reason I was able to deduce that I should use anything other than the recommended setting was because I was able to look at another (hopelessly advanced) example of code.
I get very suspicious when things like this happen. I mean, why even publish a spec sheet like that, when it's clearly incorrect? What other "undocumented" information is out there? Where would I even look for it?

Last edited:
Have you checked out the code for Max Ritters DIY Thermo-cam on github? He uses a T3.6 and either Lepton 2.0, 2.5 or 3.0 sensors.

Yes, I did. That's the code I refer to as "hopelessly advanced"; as my roommate pointed out, C++ is a language in which it is very easy to write things others cannot understand. I'm not at that level yet, although in the intervening few days I've come closer to understanding what he's doing. I think that in a few posts, I've seen Paul and others not exactly discourage that sort of programming: although it's fast, using malloc() and pointers to dimensionless arrays,...won't that cause an awful lot of fragmentation (and leaks, if you're not extremely careful)? I've taken some ideas from that code and put it into a "deterministic" (I guess you'd call it?) piece of code I'm slowly evolving. It was enough to allow me to discover that my Lepton 3 was broken from the moment that it got here, so I'm working on an RMA.
I think my original question was more like, is there anything out there other than a FLIR product, that does the same thing? Although if there were, FLIR would probably have bought them by now...
lepton3_error.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back