Is there a way to install linux?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrmu

Hi Just switched to teensy from arduino and with little experience with rpi. people used to use arduino+rpi to build some project. I found teensy has the resource to achieve both.

So the question is is there a way to use teensy as a rpi? It doesn't have to be connected to the hdmi or ethernet. I guess all is needed is the linux os. And then people can use python/goLang and other stuff.

I did a search but didn't find anything. I think high end teensy is as fast as some model of rpi.

You can certainly run an OS on a Teensy (there is a commodore 64 emulation project around), the question is if it actually gains you anything to put another layer of abstraction between you and the hardware when your reason for using a Teensy in the first place was presumably to get low level control. That OS will be running with minimal RAM and doing all the heavy lifting for any user interface without any form of hardware support. So if the aim was to make a classic mainframe emulation from the early days of computing that you interact with via a serial terminal to manage a file system full of text files that could be a thing, and I think someone got a fair way to making OS9 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OS-9 (not mac OS9!) run on a teensy. What this didn't do was actually usefully interact with the outside world since all of the teensy was pretty much being used running the OS.

While the CPU speeds may look similar the dedicated supporting hardware on a PI makes a huge difference since the OS has much more room to create and release memory to user code, and unload many tasks to built in hardware.

It should be technically possible to run a Linux micro-kernel like uCLinux, but since I don't think anyone has done it on a Teensy, you'd be doing all the work yourself.

Microcontrollers are great when you specifically don't want the overhead of an OS and want easy access to hardware without drivers in the way. If you really want an OS, I think you're better off with something like a PI as suggested above.

Is this for your musical instrument application, where you asked about FreeRTOS?

Have you read or watched any of the audio tutorial yet? Or better yet, actually done any of it? (The most effective learning is by actually doing...)

I mean, if you *really* want to spend all your time fiddling with operating systems, go ahead. Plenty of other people have done this, and some have published pretty impressive code.

But if you want to make real-time sound happen, you'll find the audio library already provides an excellent multi-tier interrupt-based infrastructure which has very good compatibility with most of the existing Arduino libs & code.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back