Serial Monitor Not Working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I am new to Teesny and I can't seem to get the serial monitor to work.

My code uploads ok but when I try and launch the serial monitor from the Arduino IDE I get the error:
Code:
Arduino: 1.8.3 (Mac OS X), TD: 1.39, Board: "Teensy 3.6, Serial, 180 MHz, Faster, US English"

No serial port, please select with Tools > Port

When I look in the tools > port menu I don't see the Teensy listed.

I'm using OSX 10.13.2

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Phil

Maybe try "System Information" (click the apple menu, then "About This Mac" then "System Report"). It should appear under Hardware-USB, even if your Mac somehow lacks the Apple standard driver for CDC.

I tested just now on 10.13.2. Here's a screenshot.

sc.png
(click for full size)

You should see the same Product ID and Vendor ID numbers in System Information, if Teensy really is running the program you uploaded.

Here is my screenshot. As you can see, no serial devices are found. However the IDE does upload code the Teensy without an issue.

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 7.58.09 AM.jpg

That's very strange.

As a quick sanity check, please turn off Auto mode in the Teensy Loader window. Then press the button on your Teensy. You should see the window respond and not do the code upload.

While it's in that state, does System Information show Teensy under Hardware-USB? The ID numbers are supposed to be 16C0 & 0478 while Teensy is in programming mode.

This probably won't make any difference, but please try Arduino 1.8.5 and Teensyduino 1.4.1 (both the latest stable versions). You can extract 1.8.5 in a different location on your Mac, so you won't lose the older copy. Just make sure you only run one of them at a time.

At least then you'll be running the same version, which makes the most sense while we're trying to figure out what's going so differently on your Mac.

Interesting.... the window doesn't respond when I press the button on the board.

I will try the other version of Arduino tonight, I'll also try a different Teensy.

Earlier you wrote:

However the IDE does upload code the Teensy without an issue.

During the upload, you're supposed to see the Teensy Loader window doing the upload. It should print "Reboot OK" for a brief time after the upload. Do you see this?

Otherwise, how are you confirming the uploads are indeed working?

Ok... very weird here, I tried another Teensy and that didn't show up either. I rebooted OSX one more time and now it seems to be working on both boards.

I rebooted yesterday when I first had the issue and that didn't solve it....

Not sure what was going on but I appreciate your quick replies to get me up and running,

Phil

Wondering out loud here.

Do/did you have something like Parallels desktop running on your MAC? I know when I have it running on my machine, it has the capabilities to assign hardware to one of the running virtual machines, like windows or Ubuntu.

I was having the same issue and managed to fix it.

Even though the Arduino was connected to the same USB port, it was previously always known as COM4. After connecting the Teensy board, I checked the device manager (I'm using Windows) and it seems to be now called COM5.

I don't know why this is but in any case, I just selected, tools-> ports -> COM5 in the Arduino program and it all started working as it should again.

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back