How to connect DotStar LEDs to a Teensy 3.2 with a prop shield?

Status
Not open for further replies.

m1tch

Hi, I'm a complete noob when it comes to using LED strips and microcontrollers so any help would be SUPER appreciated.

I have:

1 AdaFruit DotStar 30 LED/m strip with these connections on the "in" end - VCC, CI, DI, GND - no wire
And on the "out" end - VCC, CO, DO, GND - these are all connected to 6 wires, 4 (red, yellow, green, black respectively) of them join to a plastic connector with 4 pins, and then there are just 2 other wires (black, red)

1 Teensy 3.2 connected to a PJRC Prop Shield

What should I connect to what?

Thank you so much for any help!

Edit: I am guessing it is this (?)

CI to C pin
DI to D pin

but I have read that pins 7, 11, and 13 are used for sending LED data and I do not know what to connect those to.

Last edited:
On the Prop Shield page scroll down to 'Fast LED Driver'. That provide software details and use of the PIN #7 to enable the LED strip.

Image below in 'Technical Details' shows LED_CLK [ CI ] and LED_DAT [ DI ] on the one end between Power and GND - that would be the RED & Black wires. Teensy wired to the IN end.

Connected from PC's USB won't power all 30 at FULL bright white. Add up the strips power per LED for all 90 ( 30xRGB ) and adjust brightness or count as appropriate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back