Multiple USB Audio/Serial Naming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm building a device that will play audio and simultaneously control some LEDs and read switches. Several of these will be running simultaneously, controlled by a central (Windows) PC, each with its own audio. I need to be able to determine which audio to play for each board using the PC, so I'm looking into using the Teensy as an audio device and streaming audio to each of them.

I know I can run the Teensy in Audio/MIDI/Serial mode and stream audio to it while still sending/receiving serial data(1), but the audio device that appears in Device Manager is generically named ("Digital Audio Interface (2- Teensy MIDI/Audio)"), with no identifying information that I can find - not even a variable to distinguish one audio device from another. I need to know which audio device goes with which serial device on the PC, but is there an easy way to do that? Maybe with external code in python or something?
Also, are there any foreseeable issues with running multiple audio devices simultaneously like this?

Thanks!

edit: I realize it is possible to modify the name that appears in Device Manager (2), but I've thus far only seen examples that use static names, and I need to add some unique element, so some kind of dynamic naming would be better.

Last edited:
So after some experimentation and reading, it appears that it's not easily possible to rename the devices dynamically (https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/32534-Adjusting-the-Teensy-MIDI-device-name). The easiest method I've seen is using the name.c file included with the Teensyduino example MIDI_name, and have had some success with it.

However, I'm using my device in Serial + MIDI + Audio mode, and the device names aren't consistent across device types.
teensy rename device manager.PNG
The audio device is prepended with "Digital Audio Interface" and the COM port, "USB Serial Device (COM 4)", doesn't seem to be renamed at all. Can those names be modified as well, or is that on the Windows side? I'd really like to have at least the audio and serial sharing a name (or at least some parseable common element).

As a side note, I found that I do have to delete the drivers from Device Manager each time to get the new name to appear -- someone mentioned in the other thread that Windows was doing that automatically for them, so is there a setting or something I'm missing? I'm on Windows 10 Enterprise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back