Audio Board won't play any sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neto-Zeme

Hello!

I've read a lot of issues with the audio board but none of the solved ones helped me.

I'm experiencing a problem that the board (raw, not soldered any potis on it) doesn't play anything at all. I followed all the instructions in the tutorial and I used the hardware test, with the button-functions commented out so that I just see the "Beep #x". At first I thought ok, I killed the board with soldering. I bought a new one but this does'nt play anything at all too. It crackles a bit when loading up a sketch on the headphones and gives a tone noise in the background when playing but that's all. I tried the SDCard examples too and wrote something on my own, and isPlaying() always returns true, but it is not playing anything at all that comes out the audio port. I'm using Arduino 1.6.12 and Teensyduino 1.31 beta1. I tried not just with headphones (Sennheiser H205, which work well anyways) but with my microphone input of my soundcard too. And my Teensy is a 3.1. Did I kill anything on my teensy? I bought a 3.2 as a fallback option but the pins are soldered allready there and they are too short so I can't plug my audio board on it... edit: ok I tried it with short cables and the new 3.2 (including the most current teensyloader) but no sound at all... Also averything elses like get some LEDs blinking, works fine anyways with the teensy.

I'm not a newbee to programming since my job is embedded software development.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
I don't know why, but after trying hours of getting it to work and a few minutes after posting that post, combining the teensy 3.2 and the new audio adaptor board I buyed with short cables, it works... what ever mystery I had here. Thanks for anny thoughts invested allready. topic could be closed I think.

edit: oh maybe... could it be that this is dependend on the VUSB and VIn? at my old teensy I cut the connections and powerd it by an external power source.

Teensy definitely needs power to work, so having VUSB-VIN cut apart would be a problem if you followed the tutorial exactly, since the tutorial is all powered by the USB cable.

You might also consider upgrading to a newer version of Teensyduino and Arduino. The new versions have many fixes and improvements. At one point there was a bug impacting tutorial part 1-5, so if that section doesn't work for you, it's very likely you need to update.

ok, thanks for the answer.

On the current schematic on the page which shows teensy 3.2 and 3.1, which I use both now, I can't see a reason, why cutting the connection and powering it by an external power source won't work with the audio board, since it's powered via 3.3V out of the board itself or am I missing something?
My later plans are to power the teensy by a battery, to make it mobile. The Vbat pin is, regarding the Chip-Datasheet, just for the RTC right?

I switched from my teensy 3.2 to 3.1 and back again with the same audio-board and source code and I don't know why but the teensy 3.2 without a cut VUSB-VIN-connections works fine (just via USB ofc) and the external powered one (3.1) with cut connections works fine in all cases too except playing a sound, even if "isPlaying()" returns true. regarding the schematics I don't think that the cut connection is a problem right? A damaged teensy is not a problem, since I can buy new ones (which I will anyways to support you) but I need to know if it is just damaged and normally should operate fine or if I really make a mistake which I can't see right now.

And yes, I updated to the latest versions as well :)

I also can't see why external 3.3V power wouldn't work.

As a quick sanity check, I tried just now with a very old Teensy 3.1. I programmed it with the WavFilePlayer example, and listened for a moment with the USB cable powering the board. Then I unplugged and connected it to a 3.3V power supply. It's on my bench playing fine as I type this message. Here's a quick photo.

DSC_0986_web.jpg

I can't say why it's not working, but hopefully this confirmation it works here might help?

Thank you for testing!

This helps a lot. So I will say my teensy is broken. Since it works with the 3.2, which I bought 3 of them now, this is not a problem anymore :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back