Arduino IDE is not recognising port. Device Manager does not show port

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tejkaran

I have been using Arduino IDE for about 2 years with no problems. I use it with the Teensy 3.2 with the teensyduinio software(https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_download.html) but recently I updated the Arduino IDE to the latest version. I uninstalled the old version and installed the new version. Since then the IDE does not recognise the port I am using.
As of now, I have the Arduino IDE installed and the TeensyDuino. I dont think it matters I have the Teensyduino because that only kicks in when I uploads, and currently, I am unable to upload to boards.

For example this is what I see in the IDE (https://imgur.com/76mm82Q) - I can't choose ports.

In device manager I don't see 'other devices' or anything resembling anything I read online. It seems the 'Generic USB Hub' recognises it because whem I choose to see properties and look at the power it says:
HID compliant vendor definded device, so it is reading it.

Regarding the answers I can forsee
I have tried multiple ports
I have tried multiple cables
I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling
I have restarted my computer a few times with a full power shut down
I have tried using different Teensy devices

Is there something I need to do? Am I doing something wrong? I dont understand why I am suddenly unable to use the Arduino IDE

Help is very much appreciated

Might help to know what type of computer you are using? I am assuming Windows, as you mentioned device manager? Which version... If version < 10? If so did the device stuff install properly?

Are you trying using HUB? try not using HUB...

Is it a new Teensy? If so did you try doing a build with just verify and wait until Teensy app loads and then click on Program button? New ones ship without USB Serial... So need to program first time with serial stuff...

I am using windows 10
Everything installed properly. I don't think anything was off. No error messages or anything appeared. It was a straight forward install.
I did the Arduino IDE first(newest version) then the Teensyduino.

I have a few Teensy. I tried with an old one first, and when it wasn't working I thought it may have blown somehow so I tried a new one. The on board light blinks so it is powered but the port is not reading.
Naturally i tried multiple USB wires, and in the past all of those I tried have worked so I don't think it is that. In the arduino forum somone said it may be related to installing drivers. I am not sure whether that is correct or not, but I haven't a clue what I need to do now to get it working.

What is HUB? In the IDE I have Serial selected for 'USB Type'

your screen photo shows you building Blink sketch. That does not use the Serial port, so i think teensyduiino won't enable the USB unless the sketch has Serial.begin() -- maybe try another example that uses the Serial monitor .

Well i'll be dammned. That is all that was needed. Feel pretty silly right now.

Port recognised, all working good now
Thank you very much.

Changing how Arduino's Tools > Ports menu works has been on my to-do list for some time. I considered this for 1.41, but instead focused on the MIDI improvements. Never enough hours in the day....

The problem is Teensy has many modes where it's using HID or other non-Serial protocols. Arduino and much of the info online about using Arduino is written around the idea of "everything must be a serial port".

We still ship every Teensy programmed with the LED blink using RawHID, because pre-10 versions of Windows will prompt users to install a driver if you plug in a Teensy programmed to behave as Serial. Years ago (before Window 8 or 10) we found that some Windows users would go to the ends of the earth looking for drivers, but instead of just installing Teensyduino or the stand-alone driver installer, they'd find all sorts of INFs and drivers on other websites, or resort to sometimes borderline insane registry hacks.... all because Windows told them a driver was needed. With RawHID, the Windows HID driver is used. The first attempt to upload always succeeds, because HID is one of the few things that's always solid about Windows. But the only way to be able to upload is having the software installed, and running the installer adds the driver (really just an INF - the driver is actually USBSER.SYS from Windows).

But shipping every Teensy with RawHID created this lesser issue, where a brand new Teensy doesn't show up in the Tools > Ports menu. The same is true when Tools > USB Type is changed to a non-serial option, except in those cases it's easy to know and Teensyduino patches Arduino to show "emulated serial" in the menu. Of course a non-Serial does appear in the Windows Device Manager, but under HID or Audio, so people looking only in Ports don't see it. There's nothing I can do about the device manager.

Older versions of Arduino the Ports menu was pretty much hard-coded for only serial for the menu, which is the main reason not much was done on this. Modern versions of Arduino are more flexible (prompted by the now-defunct Arduino Yun), though it still looks like the only way to really customize involves patching the Java code for Arduino's "DiscoverManager" class. Maybe it's time to finally get on this....

Thanks for the thorough explanation Paul. It completely caught me out. I’ve used teensy for a few years so I just got used to plug in and play. However, I can fully understand people going to ridiculous ends to find the driver.
To simplify any work you may need to do, could you not have it that when it first opens you have a message to say to run a serial programme. Would that remove this problem? Or is there a wider issue you want to address too?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back