Teensy 3.6 max input voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

neroroxxx

Hi, i was wondering what the maximum voltage that can be applied to a teensy without damage, the arduino mega can accept up to 12v dc but i know they have some voltage regulator, I'm wondering if the same applies to teensy or if there's a good circuit to add this.

I want to use a 9v power supply.

Thanks!

the “atmega” can take 12 but not recommended as the regulator can overheat
you can use 9V for both though

Do not connect more than 6 volts to VIN on Teensy 3.6.

Even though the LP38691 regulator on Teensy 3.6 can handle higher voltage, VIN also connects to the TPD3S014 USB power switch for the USB host port. It's rated for only 6 volts max.

schematic36.png

Do not connect more than 6 volts to VIN on Teensy 3.6.

Even though the LP38691 regulator on Teensy 3.6 can handle higher voltage, VIN also connects to the TPD3S014 USB power switch for the USB host port. It's rated for only 6 volts max.

@Paul, is that limit also valid, if nothing is attached to 2nd USB (i.e. no current drawn)?

Here's the functional block diagram from the TPD3S014 datasheet.

tpd3s014.png

Even if you don't connect anything to the output, there's still a current limit sensing amplifier, undervoltage lockout and thermal sensing production circuits, plus the control logic and charge pump. Oh, and some fancy analog circuit to control the big mosfet body voltage.

So I'm going to go with Yes, still valid. The datasheet for this chip is pretty clear about 6 volts maximum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back