Createing Large Wall Project

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottietrek

We are creating a Large wall project almost 8000 LEDs. We know we need at least 2 Teensys to do the job.
What are the differences in the 3.0,3.2,3.5,3.6. We get some of them by what we read but are there any benefits to the higher versions.

They differ by speed & memory. This page has a comparison.

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/techspecs.html

Teensy 3.0 (long discontinued) would not be up to this task, at least not using only 2 boards. Only Teensy 3.2, 3.5 and 3.6 should be considered. Two boards would be the safe approach. One might be able to do all 8000 for some very limited scenarios.

Whether you need the higher speed is a good question. If Teensy is just running the OctoWS2811 VideoDisplay example, where a PC is sending the pixels over USB, then Teensy 3.2 is probably fine. If you're generating the animation on Teensy itself, especially if using floating point math, then the higher speed and FPU in Teensy 3.6 will probably help.

You've probably seen the Octo adaptor? These are highly recommended for large LED projects.

https://www.pjrc.com/store/octo28_adaptor.html

The number one failure for large LED projects is underestimating the power supply and wiring requirements to deliver so much current. If all 8000 of your LEDs are fully on at ~50 mA each, that's 400 amps of current! The only practical way to make this work is locating the 5V power supplies close to the LEDs and using many short, large gauge wires connected as directly as possible from the LEDs to the power supplies.

thank you so much I will be getting back with you later after I sit down with my partner and go over what we are going to get.

So I have another question. If you are going to use more than one Teensy how do they connect together or do you have to run a USB out for each to the Controlling Device?

You definitely need to run a USB cable to each Teensy.

You can optionally connect a sync signal between them, which allows for both to update at precisely the same moment, even if the USB delivers their data with slightly mismatched latency.

On the USB connection, you can run a single USB cable from your PC to a USB2 hub, and then plug the cables for both boards into that 1 hub. However, this only works well with a Multi-TT hub. Many cheap hubs are Single-TT, which is likely to cause trouble. You can check your hub specs with "lsusb -v" in Linux, or the Device Manager in Windows 10.

td_flightsim_4.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back