AudioEffectDelayExternal and ILI9341 display not compatable

Status
Not open for further replies.

DerekR

I've been away from the forum for several months, but working day and night on a compact Teensy 3.6 based music processor for real-time concert performance. Things have been going great until yesterday when I started working in earnest on delay/reverb stuff...

The system uses the T3.6 + Audio Board + PJRC ILI9341 2.8" display. The display is essential for menu selection, status and spectral display, parameter adjustment, etc. Yesterday I installed a 23LC1024 RAM to the Audio Board to experiment with post-vocoding delay effects - and found that AudioEffectDelayExternal simply would not work. All I got was a bunch of distortion. I replaced the chip, tried a different Audio Board with a third chip - no dice. None of Paul's examples in the thread on adding memory to the Audio Board worked. See the link above link for the code.

But when I unplugged the display the system came to life on all the sketches! The delays sounded great and I could get the full range of delays. When the display was put back on the board it failed again.

My conclusion is that since the use of the ILI9341 display + Audio board requires reassignment of the display MOSI/MISO SPI pins (to that of the hardware SPI pins assigned to the 23LC1024), we again have a SPI conflict with the display, and the memory chip cannot work.

Has anybody else had this problem? Is there a workaround, for example a third available SPI port that I could assign to the display? (Although I would hate to do that because I'd need to modify all my boards, and one of my prototypes is in use in New Zealand!!! I'd have to build another system from scratch and do a swap by mail - a process that would take several weeks)

In the meantime I'm looking to see if I have enough free memory to use AudioEffectDelay and still meet specifications, which of course would have the additional benefit of much reduced precious CPU usage.

Thanks,
Derek

If using ILI9341_t3, only the main SPI port can work for the display. SPI1 & SPI2 lack the FIFO which ILI9341_t3 uses. The only way to get the display working on those other 2 would involve a modified copy of Adafruit's much slower library.

As far as I know, these 2 uses of SPI haven't been tested together. But they probably should work if both configure to use the same pins for MOSI, MISO, SCK. But then maybe not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back