Best way to do electronic flute?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishy1

I'm working on building an electronic flute/whistle. Basically, 10 notes, and depending on which buttons pressed, it outputs the relevant one. I've done a lower sound quality version on an atmega but this will be a step up. I'm looking at ideally 44k 16 bit mono sound, and as I've got the audio board, with STGL5000, it seems like a good option. Each of the sound samples is a continuous note.

I'm not sure the most efficient/easiest/cleverest way to do the sound is, or even if it's possible. I only need one sound to play at once, but it's important that they switch sounds smoothly.

I was thinking of using 10 raw sound files, one for each note, and playing them all simultaneously, with volume set to 0 for all except the note currently playing. But not sure if there is a better way to do this. My thoughts on this method were that it was probably faster to do that than to read them from SD/additional flash memory.

Thoughts?
Thanks for your ideas/inspiration!

In addition to 10 on/off switches to select notes, do you also need a way to control the volume (a breath controller? foot pedal?) and perhaps other types of articulation (like how the timbre changes on a real flute when you blow harder)?

Not neccessarily - although it would be nice to have the ability to change pitch or possibly volume while playing, it's certainly not essential if there is a simple/elegant way to do it without pitch/vol responsiveness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back