Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: What is a large number of APA102c LEDs?

What is a large number of APA102c LEDs?

Hi all,
    I've done a lot of work with WS2811 and variants in fastLED. When I do a large number, I run them in parallel. I am just starting to experiment with the APA102c, and I am thinking of a pretty large project with about 3000 LEDs. I'll be using a teensy 3.6. Can 3000 LEDs be controlled over a single data and clock line? Or - would I need to figure something out since there is no parallel solution for fastLED for the APA102c?
    Thanks!
    cf

Quote Originally Posted by clfaye View Post
    Can 3000 LEDs be controlled over a single data and clock line?
    No, sadly this isn't usually feasible.

APA102 has a problem where the clock signal isn't perfectly regenerated. Each pixel shortens the low time slightly. It's sort of like a photocopier making a copy of a copy of a copy, each time getting a little worse. After about 100-150 pixels, 24 MHz no longer works. The longer you go, the worse the timing margin becomes. Just yesterday someone was reporting problems with a 2000 LED chain only working with very slow clocks, like ~1 MHz.

Unless you're doing a persistence of vision project, or you're using a non-Teensy board which lacks non-blocking libraries for WS2812, I would advise against APA102 LEDs. I know many people feel like APA102 is superior, but in fact the poor quality clock regeneration circuitry is a huge problem as you try to scale up to a larger project.

hmmm - that is very good info. I was looking forward to the better low brightness performance. What do you think of having multiple arrays of APA102c LEDs on different pins - so the max number on a set of clock and data pins would be 256? Although I shudder at the wiring. I think you wouldn't get a parallel writing benefit, but it seems like it might solve the clock signal problem. Or - would adding buffer like the 74HCT245 every 256 pixels do the trick?

Here's a writeup where I investigated the APA102 clock problem.

https://www.pjrc.com/why-apa102-leds...ble-at-24-mhz/

My general recommendation is to only use APA102 for POV.

yup - it's kind of a lot of work to perform an experiment on with a LOT of LEDs on the line. I'll do some bench work on the APA102s for fun, but plan on WS2812s for the project. Thanks for the write up!