Which Teensy Board should I use for my project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

izapaez

Hello everyone!

I am re-making an old project. It used to run on Arduino + Processing but a friend recommended me to use a Teensy because it can play audio by itself and it is reliable for a LONG term project.

This is the first time I will be using a Teensy so I am very excited to learn how to use a new tool.

First I want to buy a Teensy Board and I wanted to know which one would you recommend me to buy for this project??

The project is not that complicated.
Basically I need 4 inputs (4 Buttons) and 4 outputs (4 LEDs) and a good quality speaker. I am planning on having everything Run on 5V.

The system works like this :

When I press button 0, LED 0 will light up and start playing Song 0
When I press button 1, LED 1 will light up and start playing Song 1
When I press button 2, LED 2 will light up and start playing Song 2
When I press button 3, LED 3 will light up and start playing Song 3

The code is al ready figured out (I think it will be the same I used with the Arduino and play a little bit with it to replace what Processing did)

I saw the Teensy Audio Tutorial & Workshop and they use a Teensy 3.2 and an Audio Shield is this my best option?
Since that video was made in 2015 I was wondering if maybe I should just use the Teensy 3.5 or 3.6? Or do I really need to have the Audio Shield to make this project work?

Thank you very much for your help!!

Teensy 3.2 should be plenty, from what you've described. But if you're not going to use the audio shield, Teensy 3.5 or 3.6 might be simpler, because they have a SD socket built in. There are lots of ways to connect a SD socket, but if you buy an adaptor board, beware of cheap ones made for regular Arduino. Teensy accesses the SD card with 24 MHz SPI (or 48 MHz SDIO if using the built-in sockets on 3.5 & 3.6). Many of the cheap adaptors made for regular Arduino have voltage level shifters which are too slow for the higher speeds Teensy uses.

You can get analog signals out of the DAC pins. Their quality is ok with 12 bit resolution, but not quite as good as the 16 bit res of the audio shield. The DAC outputs are only good for line level signals. You'll need an amplifier even for headphones if you use the DAC pins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back