Free MIDI Controller application to use with Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackaddr

As I've been on working some new audio effects for my Teensy Guitar Audio Shield, I often find it easier to control the effect parameters with a simple application running on my computer, rather than using my typical hardware MIDI controller.

I took the MIDI tester demo from the JUCE library and added a "Pedal Area" to it to provide some knobs and buttons for effect control. You can also change label names and save/load those changes.

By using the Teensy USB Midi library, this application makes it super easy to adjust digital effect parameters or anything else running on the Teensy you want to control with MIDI.

Here's a quick video so you can see it in action. I change the labels and twiddle the knobs a bit while it's controlling an analog delay effect.

You can download the Windows application here. I'm actually a Linux guy, so this runs just fine under WINE no problem.
http://www.blackaddr.com/downloads/

You can get the source code here though I find compiling other people's JUCE projects to never work due to MS Studio differences, but it's here if you wanna look at it.
https://github.com/Blackaddr/BAMidiTester

Thanks! Feel free to ask any questions. As for the audio board, it's on sale right now until March 24th, 15% off.

I think I'd like to find a way to send the CPU utilization of the Teensy back to the BAMidiTester application and display it. Probably send it back as SYSEX or maybe just a CC message since it might be easier.

Hello, thank you for this. I wanted to ask if there was a way to enable the teensy to be controlled by an external midi controller using the same JUCE API. I cant use the USB host function on the teensy currently because it's being used for something else. Thank you.

Hello, thank you for this. I wanted to ask if there was a way to enable the teensy to be controlled by an external midi controller using the same JUCE API. I cant use the USB host function on the teensy currently because it's being used for something else. Thank you.

Can you use a USB midi dongle connected to the host? This will show up as an available USB MIDI device to JUCE, then talk to the Teeny over the usual MIDI connectors.

Example USB midi dongle

MIDI circuits with Teensy

As I've been on working some new audio effects for my Teensy Guitar Audio Shield, I often find it easier to control the effect parameters with a simple application running on my computer, rather than using my typical hardware MIDI controller.

I took the MIDI tester demo from the JUCE library and added a "Pedal Area" to it to provide some knobs and buttons for effect control. You can also change label names and save/load those changes.
[/URL]

Many thanks!!! This is a very cool testing tool and it works with wine on Linux and MicroDexed connected via USB! :)

Is there a way to change the controller numbers of the pots?

Regards, Holger

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back