Convert Foot Controller to USB MIDI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slinger

Hello all. New to the forum.

I'm wondering how difficult it would be to convert a Digitech Control 2 from a proprietary Ethernet connection to a USB MIDI one.

I'd like to be able to use the existing ribbon cables for the switches and LEDs if possible.

I have pictures of the inside. Can I post them here? Or do I need to use a host?

Advice? Thoughts? Thank you in advance.

You can upload images... tree-in-a-box icon and point to the file then upload

Switches and leds should be np... pedal is ok if it's a pot-as-voltage-divider and if it is, the pot is likely thrashed.

What you call "a proprietary Ethernet connection" is most probably a Serial Midi port using a Ethernet plug. I don't think that they re-invented the wheel to create their own midi transport layer. I'd take an oscilloscope or a logic analyzer to see what happens on the different pins of the connector and my guess is that you'll find either a bipolar RS-232 protocol or, even simpler, TTL UART signals.

In either case, you would build a little circuit around the Teensy (a cheap Teensy LC would be sufficient) to receive the serial midi data stream from that pseudo-Ethernet port and, with a little bit of code, to resend it over USB.

Is there online documentation for repair?

LEDs may not be trivial depending if there's a library for the controller. I didn't notice the display... thought they were indicators you were referring to.

Couldn't find schematics or service docs. But from what I found on the net, I'm sure that this pedal is already a fully working autonomous and active midi controller with its own CPU inside. It's rather about "decoding" the proprietary midi output data and to resend it over USB midi.

Btw.... I assumed it's dead and your salvaging the box to build a controller. If it still works in its intended form don't bother.

From the manual
MIDI CC Send
In addition to controlling GSP processor parameters, you can configure the Control 2’s Expression Pedal and the CONTROL Footswitch to send MIDI CC (continuous controller) messages on the GSP’s MIDI channel to MIDI devices connected to your GSP’s MIDI Thru port. The Expression Pedal can act as a continuous control device, and the CONTROL Footswitch can act as a parameter toggle switch.

I think Th is correct if the box works you may be able to act as the midi thru.

The warnings not to connect to ethernet cables also suggest it's just a data connection / physical layer difference and the signal itself my just be midi as serial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back