Power Supply for Teensy 3.6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

can i use the Power supply unit of my Samsung Smart Phone (which is rated wit 5 Volts, 1A) as power supply for the teensy 3.6 or will this be too much Voltage?

What do you use for power supply?

Best regards

Daniel

If applied to VIN pin - shown on 'the card for T_3.6' as "3.6 to 6.0 Volts" - and the supply is in that range it should be okay - it must not go over 6 volts. Don't connect USB cable unless it is not supplying second power source, or the under pad has been cut - as shown on the reverse of the card.

Sorry, my english is not so good.
What do you mean with
"Don't connect USB cable unless it is not supplying second power source, or the under pad has been cut - as shown on the reverse of the card."

How can i detect if the USB cable is supplying second power source?

Daniel

The VIN pin on the Teensy is connected to the +5V coming from the USB connector. If you wish to power the VIN pin directly with your own external source you must do one of two things:

1) Never connect your own supply AND the USB at the same time.

OR

2) Cut a track on the Teensy PCB that permanently disconnects the USB from VIN. You can now connect your own supply at the same time as USB safely, but the USB can no longer be used to power the board by itself, Your extenrnal supply must be connected to make it work at all.

Okay, there's actually a 3rd option as well. The track you cut is between two solder pads. This is so that you can restore USB power by solding the pads together.

3) Cut the track between the pads, then wire in a SPDT switch with the pole soldered to the VIN pin, one throw soldered to the USB power poad, and the second throw soldered to your external source.

This allows you to switch between USB power and external power safely.

If applied to VIN pin - shown on 'the card for T_3.6' as "3.6 to 6.0 Volts" - and the supply is in that range it should be okay - it must not go over 6 volts. Don't connect USB cable unless it is not supplying second power source, or the under pad has been cut - as shown on the reverse of the card.

I heard it's better to keep the current under 250 mA or else it'll heat up the device?

I heard it's better to keep the current under 250 mA or else it'll heat up the device?
That’s the current limit that you may draw from the 3.3V pin through the on board voltage regulator of the T3.6. That has absolutely nothing to do with the theoretical maximum current of 1A which your power supply might deliver on demand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back