Multi-universe DMX out from Teensy

Status
Not open for further replies.

aom

Hi

I'm trying to make my own Teensy multi-universe DMX controller, by mux'ing multiple single-universe DMX shields (https://www.tindie.com/products/Conceptinetics/25kv-isolated-dmx-512-shield-for-arduino-r2/), but I can't control the universes individually as each one updates to the state of the previous universe when I switch over via the mux.

Curious to hear about any suggestions for a multi-universe DMX controller based on an embedded board like Teensy to avoid the use a dedicated computer (aside from for programming/development), or more generally, alternate approaches to a multi-universe DMX solution that allows me to write my light patterns programmatically (w/ random functions and sensor input) as opposed to playing scripts (which is what seems available commercially or through computer software solutions).

Many thanks your time attention, and responses,
Andrew

The best way would use one serial port for each DMX universe. You get 3 ports on Teensy 3.2 & LC, and 6 ports on Teensy 3.5 & 3.6.

Makes sense, thanks Paul!

Are you aware of an appropriate DMX library? Most libraries seem to be only for a single universe one one serial port.

Thanks again,
Andrew

You'll probably need to run multiple copies of the same library, one for each port/universe. Some libs may be designed to have multiple instances. Others might require making copies and renaming stuff.

Another thought -- is it possible to do Artnet OUT from Teensy into one of those multi-universe Artnet-to-DMX boxes?

TeensyDMX should be able to handle multiple concurrent universes. If you’d like to try it, I’m curious how it works for you, if I have to solve any multi-universe problems, etc.

@aom It's possible to use a Teensy to translate Art-Net to and from DMX, using just the Teensy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back