Forum Rule: Always post complete source code & details to reproduce any issue!

Thread: Multi-universe DMX out from Teensy

Multi-universe DMX out from Teensy

Hi

I'm trying to make my own Teensy multi-universe DMX controller, by mux'ing multiple single-universe DMX shields (https://www.tindie.com/products/Conc...or-arduino-r2/), but I can't control the universes individually as each one updates to the state of the previous universe when I switch over via the mux.

Curious to hear about any suggestions for a multi-universe DMX controller based on an embedded board like Teensy to avoid the use a dedicated computer (aside from for programming/development), or more generally, alternate approaches to a multi-universe DMX solution that allows me to write my light patterns programmatically (w/ random functions and sensor input) as opposed to playing scripts (which is what seems available commercially or through computer software solutions).

Many thanks your time attention, and responses,
    Andrew

The best way would use one serial port for each DMX universe. You get 3 ports on Teensy 3.2 & LC, and 6 ports on Teensy 3.5 & 3.6.

Makes sense, thanks Paul!

Are you aware of an appropriate DMX library? Most libraries seem to be only for a single universe one one serial port.

Thanks again,
    Andrew

You'll probably need to run multiple copies of the same library, one for each port/universe. Some libs may be designed to have multiple instances. Others might require making copies and renaming stuff.

For example, if you this code I wrote some time ago...

https://github.com/PaulStoffregen/MI...di2dmx/dmx.cpp

You would just make multiple copies of the code. In each copy, give the functions a unique name, and change every "Serial1" to the other ports. Maybe a little tedious, but it's only 80 lines of code.

Thanks for the info Paul, much appreciated. Will explore this approach!

Another thought -- is it possible to do Artnet OUT from Teensy into one of those multi-universe Artnet-to-DMX boxes?

TeensyDMX should be able to handle multiple concurrent universes. If youd like to try it, Im curious how it works for you, if I have to solve any multi-universe problems, etc.