Is my teensy 3.6 dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

adim

Hello,
i am using the 3.6 for a while now and i am really satisfied with its performance, i just formated my linux system and then reinstalled everything. I used teensy and uploaded the blink program and everything worked well, after a couple of days i tried to use it again and tried to upload an accelerometer sketch that i am using, and nothing is happening. I used another cable, i installed teensduino on windows and tried again but it seems dead. Is there a way to check if it is dead, and is there a possibility to have died without a cause..

Thank you in advance

With Linux, the best way to troubleshoot involves watching the syslog messages. On Ubuntu this can be done with "tail -f /var/log/syslog". The kernel will print info as it detects the connection and removal of USB devices.

I did the voltage test with the multimeter at the 3.3V pin and it measures 0.5V. That is not normal, but is it dead? (Sorry for the repost)

Ok, 0.5V where you should have 3.3V power is not good.

Whether it's "dead" depends on *why* the power is so low. If you added other hardware, like whatever accelerometer that sketch was meant to read, perhaps it is shorting out the 3.3V power or otherwise not connected properly? We've seen this sort of problem many times, where the other hardware is connected incorrect and the power returns to normal when it's removed.

It's also quite possible something on your Teensy is damaged. I simply can not know from on the info you've shared so far.

But I can tell you 0.5V from the 3.3V power usually means something is going very wrong and trying to consume far too much power. Usually (carefully) touching with a finger to feel which parts are hot can help. Be careful, the PTC fuse and the 3.3V regulator may be *very* hot, because they get stressed very hard in this sort of situation. The question is what other part is trying to draw so much power?

i have disconnected everything from the board and then i made the voltage measurement, and the only thing that is getting a little warm is the processor

I am sad to say this doesn't sound good. Always hard to say for sure, without seeing the boards, without knowing what happened... but it's looking pretty likely your Teensy sustained permanent damage somehow. :(

It is a really weird the way it died because i am doing many tests with the same sketch for a while and the way i connect the accelerometer is always the same, i use a i2c connection. I hope it is my fault cause it is a board i want to use and develop my phd project on it. You ve been really helpful thank you.

That's why I buy my Teensys for project development always in batches of 3, so that I have always a spare in the drawer, just "in case of"...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back