Can we edit posts now?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gibbedy

Is there a way we can edit posts.
I read a while ago we lost this to the spammers, but is there any plans to allow editing.

I just got on to update an old post with new helpful info for me, and I don't see the option.
Thanks.

edit: Ability to edit posts after 2 hours was removed due to spammers. Not likely to return this year.

Last edited:
Sorry, no, after 2 hours whatever you wrote becomes forever locked.

Well, unless you can talk any of the "+" users into editing it for you. ;)

A few users have spam hunter (and post editing) rights. These are marked as “senior member+“. You might send the edited text to one of these asking them to replace your post or to add whatever.

No thanks. That seems inefficient.
I'm going to assume that the forum systems itself prevents you from granting me the ability to edit posts myself without also granting me other privileges you don't want to grant.

If you were able to grant me just editing rights to my own posts I would ask, (as I'm clearly not a spammer) why not?

I'm going to assume that the forum systems itself prevents you from granting me the ability to edit posts myself without also granting me other privileges you don't want to grant.

Yes, that's correct. The way things are set up, it's ordinary user permissions or effectively moderator permissions (even though we pretty much don't do moderator stuff here... it's all about keeping the spam problem under control).

If you were able to grant me just editing rights to my own posts I would ask, (as I'm clearly not a spammer) why not?

The permissions work based on groups, not individual users.

We're also trying to avoid any more mods or customizations that go outside the ordinary vbulletin setup. Eventually we're going to migrate from vbulletin to xenforo. That's unlikely to happen in 2018, but it is coming eventually. The database migration tools allow importing everything from stock vbulletin, but substantial customizations risk greatly complicating the upcoming move.

We've also had occasional problems where people go back and essentially delete their old messages. This forum is mostly about helping people with their projects, and along the way building up a public knowledge base. It creates a very confusing conversation for anyone else to try to later figure out. Forever freezing messages after a (hopefullt) reasonable time of allowing edits to fix typos & errors is a part of that goal to preserve information to create a lasting knowledge base.

No thanks. That seems inefficient.

Indeed not the model of efficiency - but if it was an important edit to update or correct info as Theremingenieur notes a “senior member+“ could make it happen.

Perhaps place the full desired text for the update as a NEW POST on that thread with a link to the post it should replace. If one of us catches it we can quickly cut and paste it into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back