Teensyarduino won't install

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to Teensy and just got Teensy 3.2. I can't get Teensyarduino to install. I don't know where the Arduino installer put the files. Arduino 1.8.5 is installed and working, but I don't know where its "folder" is (which is where Teensyarduino wants to be.

If you're using Windows, the default location is C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino. The Teensyduino installer is supposed to select this automatically, if it is a supported copy of Arduino.

Whichever OS you're using, you're doing *something* to run Arduino, maybe double clicking an icon? Each system has ways to look at properties or other info to figure out where the files are located. But we can't see your screen. We can't even know if you have a Mac, Windows or Linux computer. To help you solve this, you really need to show us what you've got, like sharing a screenshot.

Nice work getting a Teensy! What OS?

On Windows I pull down the ZIP and extract to a known folder and run from there - and then know where to point the Teensy Installer. IIRC that works on Linux too. Windows will install by default to a PROGRAMS folder - but that is icky and I stopped doing that - not sure but Windows Arduino installer may have gone to documents? There are notes about apple locations - but don't know about that. Windows allows right click to get locations of things - no idea if that applies.

Thanks, I have Windows 10. The Arduino IDE's icon appears on the taskbar and also under the "A's" where all the other programs are listed.

screenshot.png

Last edited:
On the Start Menu: Right click on Arduino : select 'More' : 'Open File Location'

That should be where the Arduino install is located.

Did you by any chance do a "Windows AppStore Install" - if so that will not work for TeensyDuino.

In that case I'd remove that, go to the Arduino Web Site :: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Main/Software and then this : arduino-1.8.5-windows.zip will give you a current supported IDE 1.8.5 to Unzip to a folder you choose { I like the ROOT of a drive - in my case non C: drive partition so I can copy it all away } - then look for Arduino.exe and that is the folder that TeensyInstaller needs to see to install.

"Open File Location" doesn't seem to appear when I right-click the Arduino program and then select "More".
I downloaded the Arduino 1.8.5 from the Arduino web site.

Something isn't cool. Save any files you might have stored that might be deleted from Sketchbook - then close IDE and uninstall whatever was done.

Start clean with the ZIP as noted above would be my next steps.

I downloaded the Arduino 1.8.5 from the Arduino web site.

Arduino's download page has 3 links for Windows. Any idea which of those 3 you clicked?

At this point, the simplest thing might be the download the installer again (the top link, the one called "Windows Installer") and run it again. It will first uninstall the old copy. Then when you reinstall, leave the default alone, so it will install to C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino. Or if you must fiddle with the setting, make a note of where you install.

Making progress. Uninstalled Arduino and reinstalled using the zip download. I copied the zip file to the "Programs" folder and unzipped it there (and extracted to the same folder). The Arduino.exe now appears there and runs when I double-click on it. (It does not, however, appear in the start menu.)
The Teensyduino installer now seems to work except for the following error message:

Untitled.png

I am running as an Administrator and turned off "Real Time" scanning from my anti-virus software (then turned it back on).

The first time I downloaded the Arduino installer I used the "Windows App" link. The second time I used the "Windows zip for non admin install".

I also tried, just now, the top link "Windows installer", which worked the best of all but on trying to run the Teensyduino installer I get the same error message as mentioned on previous post.

You could go to a lot of trouble to find out what program is blocking this write, but the simplest solution is to just reboot your computer. Then run the installer before you open other programs.

Last edited:
If you put Arduino into the Program area, than you probably have to do as it says and run Teensyduino as an administrator.

That is open your download folder, and right click on Teensyduino. Then select the run as administrator option...

2nd possiblility: Do you have an Antivirus running? If so which one? With Symantec I had to turn off Real time Scanning when I installed Teensyduino...
With Norton, I had it remove some of the teensy executable when I installed... Fixed Norton by adding the installed directory to the Safe area not to scan. Fixed Symantec by getting rid of it

Last edited:
I'm running out of ideas / guesses as to why it's not working on your PC. Normally the 2 things that prevent writing are a copy of the program running somehow, which we've ruled out because you rebooted and no programs are running yet, and Windows Defender or other anti-virus software, which you said you've disabled.

I guess you could try downloading the ZIP file from Arduino and extract it somewhere you know, then run the installer and give it that location.

As KurtE notes - Windows Protects the 'Program' area - Post #5 gave notes on unzip ... Root protected too - depending on the drive - but just once at creation.

It works! Thank you all for all your time and help. This time around I first downloaded and saved the Teensyduino installer so that I could close the browser. Then, I was able to right-click the .exe and run the installer as an administrator, as suggested.

Thanks again.
Now I'm looking forward to making my neopixel strip light up by way of midi note and velocity messages sent by my keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back