Working on a BPM detector - am I stepping on anyone's toes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kylestew

I'm beginning to dig into an implementation of beat detection based on the academic paper from George Tzanetakis. This blog post presents a high level approach. I believe by extending the Audio library with a few extra modules, this can be accomplished.

1) Is anyone already developing this? Can I help out?
2) Did someone try and determine it was impossible? If so, why?

I see that Paul was working on an implementation in 2012 based on this thread.

I'm getting up to speed with DSP programming for audio and hope to be able to contribute to the awesome Teensy Audio library.

I'm beginning to dig into an implementation of beat detection based on the academic paper from George Tzanetakis. This blog post presents a high level approach. I believe by extending the Audio library with a few extra modules, this can be accomplished.

1) Is anyone already developing this? Can I help out?
2) Did someone try and determine it was impossible? If so, why?

I see that Paul was working on an implementation in 2012 based on this thread.

I'm getting up to speed with DSP programming for audio and hope to be able to contribute to the awesome Teensy Audio library.

A beat detector would be awesome. Any progress? Any way I could help?

Did a lot of research and testing of multiple algorithms. None of them actually work that great. From testing, the Marsyas project had the best results and the source code is open for use. It will take a lot to implement on the Teensy though. I'm still hoping to get it done, just didn't realize the time cost to do it.

Took a quick look at the blog post and the scala files. Looks like it is based on a java jwave library. I just found this that may help: http://wavelet2d.sourceforge.net/ . If you search on c++ discrete wavelet transform you might find equivalent to the jwave.

Thanks, I will look at those references.

Are you trying to do real-time beat detection or analyze a waveform after the fact? There are lots of great sketches that do a fair job of beat detection I can refer you to but I'm sure you can google them just as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back