WIZ820io inits to ip address 0.0.0.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

dons7777

I have a Teensy 3.2 and a WIZ820io ethernet module.

When I connect them on a breadboard with jumper wires the combo works fine:
- initializes to the given ip address
- responds to pings
- correctly serves up a web page

When I connect them with the PJRC WIZ820_SD_ADAPTOR, it always initializes to ip address 0.0.0.0 and doesn't work.

I've tried different hardware instances of Teensy 3.2, WIZ820io and WIZ820_SD_ADAPTOR with the same result.

I've read the forum postings here on this subject but I still don't understand what's needed.

That fact that it works fine on the breadboard seems significant.

Thanks for any help!

What pin does your code use for chip select? Looks like the adaptor is wired for pin 10 which I think is the same as most of the examples. The other possible difference is the handling of the reset. The adaptor board is trying to extend the reset pulse and the code might be coming off the mark too fast.

Maybe the problem is that I'm powering the setup via my desktop computer USB.

On the breadboard without the adaptor, the USB power is sufficient for Teensy 3.2 and WIZ820io.
But with the adaptor setup, the indicator lights on the WIZ820io and ethernet switch don't light up.

Then again, maybe I just didn't properly solder the header pins on the adaptor.
I'll try doing some continuity checks.

Looks like I made a mistake and have the Teensy 3.2 flipped with respect to the adaptor board. I assume that would explain the problem.

I bought the Teensy with the header pins already installed and got mixed up about the orientation relative to the adaptor.

Do I need to desolder the Teensy pre-installed pins first and then follow the adaptor recommended assembly steps?

Thanks.

Unclear on your geometry for flipped here, but yes you will need to get things so pin one lines up with pin 1 etc. which goes on top does not matter, but the RJ45 jack will pretty much force the issue I suspect. Other option is to wire it pretty much as you did on the bread board, just soldered into proto board of choice, since you already know which pins you need to connect. Will not be as compact but may be easier. Also some ugly options soldering pins into the adaptor and soldering pin to pin.

If desoldering, use a knife to cut the plastic strip holding the pins together into smaller segments and slide them off the pins. This makes getting the pins out one at a time much easier. Be very careful how much heat and force you apply since plenty of posts from people who have burnt pins on the IC and/or lifted tracks.

Desoldering is very difficult to do without destroying the board. While ugly, sometimes leaving the solder in place and just cutting away the pins or other stuff could be better, then use wire or some other way? Or maybe desoldering could work, if done very carefully?

Without seeing photos, hard to say what course of action would be best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back