Advanced Midi Sampling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I have a midi keyboard I built, I am currently working to fundraise and build a piano which would only cost $100 for a full size complete pedal one. My problem is that I do not know how to use teensy lc to make this sampler to play audio whenever a midi data is recieved. I want about 16 polyphony at max, velocity, and pedal control, would that be possible if i use teensy.Please remember, I want to spend $60 at most to keep this cheap.Any help will be appreciated.You can visit my youcaring fundraiser if you want to help. It would be a nice thing to recieved.Thanks a lot.

A Teensy LC (and even T3.6) doesn't have enough ram to be able to hold the samples that would be required to produce a reasonable sounding piano. It also doesn't have the cpu power to be able to play 16 samples in a way that would make a vaguely realistic sounding piano. You can get 16 polyphony with synthesized sounds (see this thread) but handling 16 piano notes each with its own velocity while also handling the sustain and damper pedals is not a matter of just turning samples on and off.

Pete

But if I use an sd card, the polyphony will dramatically go down
Exactly. An SD card is just not fast enough and there isn't enough ram.

Would a Teensy 3.6 work??
No. Still not enough ram or CPU horsepower. It has 256kB of ram which is enough to sample less than 3 seconds of mono at 44.1kHz. To be able to retain all the samples required for the 88 keys of a piano will require many times the amount of ram in a T3.6.

You have to realize that a program like Steinberg's The Grand 3 requires a minimum of an Intel or AMD dual core CPU with 4 GB RAM.

Pete

Samplerbox looks like a nice piece of kit.
The RPi2 would certainly be a more suitable processor. 900MHz Quad core with 1GB of ram.

Pete

By my recollection the Teensy 3.2 could play 3-4 samples from an SD card simultaneously before getting crackly about three years ago (caveats include very dependent on type of card, not using the modified read only library). Has the 3.6, with improved library and parallel SD interface, had its simultaneous .WAV file playing limits benchmarked? It has escaped my notice if so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back