Amateur Radio Repeater Monitoring System

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggitz

My project is fundamentally similar to what Kurt asked in his "Well Monitoring" thread but with a few differences. I would like to know if I am on the right track before charging off and wasting tons of time in the wrong direction. I am neither an engineer or a programmer, but was lucky enough to have a year of BASIC programming on punch cards back in 1972.

Here is the set up:

I have four mountain top amateur repeaters in California and Nevada, all of which are at sites that have internet available to me. I would like to be able to monitor several parameters such as output power, standing wave, final amplifier current draw, DC line voltage, etc. The basics of the sensors are pretty clear to me and all can be accomplished with a Teensy (I had my eyes on 3.2). I would also like to be able to send commands to the teensy and have it send them (via hard wired RS 232) to the serial port of my control system on the mountain top so that it will execute commands (like send Morse code ID, over the air, etc). I would like to have all of the monitoring data from the different sites sent to one IP which would then assemble the data from the different sites and display them. Ultimately I would like to create a Web Page so that people in my user group could log in and see what the system is doing. I was think about using an RPi running python for this purpose.

Here are my questions:

1) Because the teensy(s) on the mountaintops are both collecting data for transmission to the central are they clients or servers? This question shows the absolute basic questions that I a trying to answer. My research tells me that this is a "star" configuration with the RPi at the center of the star.
2) Is UDP an appropriate protocol ? (I have watched a number in YouTube instructional videos and this looks right)
3) How can I get the Rpi to poll the different sites to collect the data I need (A bit off topic for teensy)
4) Has anyone seen something like this done elsewhere? I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but I am for a challenge. If there is something similar, I would like to see it (and maybe get some code that I could modify.
5) Is there some big consideration that I am missing? Conceptually, this seems pretty straightforward.

Advise and criticisms welcomed

Thanks

Fred

ahh a fellow ham operator!
greetings from canada :)

alot of people use MQTT to transfer data, you can have a local MQTT server which all the nodes connect to, benefit of this approach is if one node ever fails, the other ones still continue as they are all connected to the same server

I built an Amateur Radio Repeater Monitor. It transmitted battery voltage over the air in Morse code. It was configured by a command line interface or by a built-in iambic keyer.

See http://pictographer.com/didah for description, pictures, schematic, and doxygen documentation.

The code is on github.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back