"Flight Sim Controls + Joystick" non-functional on Teensy 3.2 and 3.6

pilotplater

User PeeWeeSweden made a post back in September 2017 about this issue.

Can confirm it's also the case on Teensy 3.6 - if you select "Flight Sim Controls + Joystick" the Teensy plugin won't recognize flight sim controls are connected whatsoever, but works fine on just "Flight Sim Controls"

I know this feature is new to the Teensy 3 line, I was just really looking forward to simplifying/expanding my setup when I ran into this road block. Far as I know I'm on the 1.0 version of the (XPlane) plugin, is there a newer version? I think I'm on the latest teensyduino version too, as I just downloaded it recently.

To Reproduce:
Any sketch including "bare minimum" sample code
Select "Flight Sim Controls" at upload and it shows as connecting and disconnecting in plugin on XPlane
Select "Flight Sim Controls + Joystick" at upload and the joystick works flawlessly when implemented, but the XPlane plugin sees nothing.

Last edited:
Which version of Teensyduino are you using? Click Help > About in Arduino to check.

A bug affecting flight sim with floats on Teensy 3.5 and 3.6 was recently fixed, so this could matter if you have less than 1.41...

Currently at 1.41 and Arduino 1.8.5

Seems like that's the latest supported right?

Thanks for the quick response!

I see there was something that changed in 1.42 beta 1 about FlightSimFloat - think I'll give the latest beta a try today to see what it does.

Bug still appears to be present in 1.42 beta 3. Flight Sim Controls works but not Flight Sim Controls + Joystick :(

Is the problem only with Teensy 3.6? Or are all 3.x boards affected?

Just ran a test on my Teensy 3.2 and yes this problem is on 3.2, and also 3.6 as before. Don't have other 3.x gen boards to test.

Tried it on our faster sim computer and it's actually surprisingly quick for xPlane to recognize the joystick, but Teensy plugin for xPlane doesn't see it when using "Flight Sim Controls + Joystick" mode. Also tried "All of the above" with the same result - joystick component detected, sim plugin can't find Teensy.

the PIDs sound promising!

Last edited:
Oh, I think I see what's happening here. The plugin wasn't ever updated to look for PID 0x04D9 (or 0x0476).

I'm happy to test a beta version of the plugin for you Paul if you don't have xPlane set up. I think we're on 10.31, but could update to 10.50 for testing too.

TzWjrAO.png
it works

I changed the PID number in the latest beta. Maybe that will solve the problem?

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/52525-Teensyduino-1-42-Beta-6

Hey Paul,

I've run into a very similar issue as I did in 2018, but the reverse problem to what I had then.

If Keyboard+Mouse+Joystick is selected, the joystick seems to function fine:
7RmveUX.png

If Flight Sim Controls + Joystick is selected (the mode I'm running in), windows recognizes a joystick is connected, but it doesn't seem to be initialized/reporting any data:
Z9mMJL8.jpg

I believe my arduino install I've been using has been unchanged since 2018, arduino version 1.8.5 and the teensyduino beta that you published back then. I just made a new arduino install of 1.8.11, and the latest teensyduino 1.50 and it seems to do the same thing. Odd to me that this has changed when I'm pretty sure my arduino software didn't, wondering if I'm missing something.

Observed on both Teensy 3.6 and 3.2

Quick update, can only seem to reproduce the problem on one windows 7 computer, am now suspecting a driver issue. Will attempt to reinstall the drivers

Well, it's over two years later. Has this problem been resolved? I'm still experiencing the issue of Flight Sim Controls + Joystick not working. I can't tell what version of the Teensy Plug-in I'm using.

Steve: If you click on "Help" then "About Arduino" from the Arduino IDE, the pop-up dialog will show both the Arduino version (latest = 1.8.19) & the Teensyduino version (latest release = 1.57, latest beta = 1.58-beta2).

Hope that helps . . .

Mark J Culross
KD5RXT

Well, it's over two years later. Has this problem been resolved? I'm still experiencing the issue of Flight Sim Controls + Joystick not working. I can't tell what version of the Teensy Plug-in I'm using.

Hey Steve, YES!

Paul kindly fixed the problem for us, he posted a link to the latest beta which corrected some usb device ids. The issue I had since then was just a misconfigured arduino install I believe, was able to resolve it.

Andy

Thanks Mark, Andy, Paul. I updated to the latest Arduino and Teensyduino IDE, and now the Flightsim Controls + Joystick works as expected. Now I just have to figure out how to map a Joystick button to a GamePad button, but's that's a task for the Voicemeeter Forum.

Thanks again!
SwL

Thanks Mark, Andy, Paul. I updated to the latest Arduino and Teensyduino IDE, and now the Flightsim Controls + Joystick works as expected. Now I just have to figure out how to map a Joystick button to a GamePad button, but's that's a task for the Voicemeeter Forum.

Thanks again!
SwL

Well done Steve,

Pm me if you get stuck using the teensy joystick stuff I might be able to help.

Flight Sim Controls and Joystick Teensy LC

If you have a really old version of the software, and you're running Microsoft Windows, here are direct links to download the installers to update.

https://downloads.arduino.cc/arduino-1.8.19-windows.exe

https://www.pjrc.com/teensy/td_157/TeensyduinoInstall.exe

I installed a fresh Arduino IDE from the ling above. Trying to install Teensyduino the installer cannot find the Arduino IDE.
Capture.PNG

I also notice that older instalations do not have Flight Sim Controls and Joystick as an option for the Teensy LC, but do for other Teensies. Is this by design or my installations?

Argh, Just found the correct location and Teensyduino installed. Sorry my bad.

However for the LC no Flight Sim Controls+Joystick. So is this by design or have I boobed again?Capture1.PNG

Back