OctoWS2811 moved to other pins to use as a simple buffer

Status
Not open for further replies.
What pins do I need to wire between a Teensy 3.6 and an OctoWS2811 to simply use the onboard 74HCT245 -- assuming they are not stacked together?

I have a Teensy 3.6 with an audio board attached and from what I have read it's not easy to use both boards together but the OctoWS2811 seems like a very nice implementation of a 74HCT245. It's a lot cleaner than the one i built using a terminal block for the strips.

My plan is to relocate the LED pins to the other end of the teensy. Besides VIN, GND and 3.3 do I need to connect anything else to get the Octo to work as a simple level shifter?

Thanks for the reply! Ishould have been more specific. I’m wondering if the octo board requires all the pins be connected or if the board work as a simple level converter.

Here is a post that talks about other pins doing things I barley understand and hope aren’t needed in my application,like frame sync or FTM2.

https://forum.pjrc.com/threads/47195-OctoWS2811-Pinout

If I don’t load the octo library but have basic DIR, ground and voltage pins connected I’m hoping I can just send a signal to one of the LED inputs and get it shifted.

There is no 74HCT245 breakout that I can find anywhere and the octo is a super clean implementation with the RJ45s and matching resistors.

Yes Octows2811 shield can be used for other level shifting purposes. Not sure if the resistors would be an issue where they are used for impedance matching for Cat5/6 cables.

Great news. Thanks.

As to the resistors: they are one more good feature I would not thought of and don't have to solder. I guess I will get better at it but right now soldering gets tedious, adds mistakes and looks bad. I misread the data sheet and soldered the 74HCT245 in wrong and burned up one Teensy 3.6 already which lead me to the Opto option.

thanks again for the info. I will start testing, but on an ESP so I don't feel so bad when I fry one or two or them :)

I used the same schematic from the octo for my Pixel Controller. I am using the pins for the exact same purpose but the custom board allows all components to be placed to my liking. http://megapixel.lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back