MIDI nearly silent stepper motor interface - motor loudness test

Status
Not open for further replies.

dangdongho3

With a USB MIDI Teensy LC and Silent Step Stick stepper drivers interface I made, I did a little loudness test with some stepper motors.

There is plenty of comparisons on Youtube between Silent-Step-Stick driver and other drivers, but I could not find any motor loudness comparison.

I though it could be useful for someone who looks for a setup that is next to silent.

Interesting approach. According to my experiments it is all about the way you control the sm. I already had been involved in a project to silently drive a motor. Acoustic counter waves have been used to do so. The motor is also controlled that way, that possible step losses are detected before they appear to avoid them. Controlling the speed of the motor fullfils both requirements: The better the speed is controlled, the less danger for stop losses and the less noise occurs.

Let's say noise cancellation but before the noise occurs. The problem is the tricky behaviour of the engines and gear boxes with their reflection of torque impulses and transformation of the spectrum. A current profile which should create a smoothed and linear accelleration quickly causes the resonances in the system to do their work. To avoid this, one has to have a model of the mechanics and electronics to forecast their behaviour and introduce harmonics and distortion into the motor current to create an additional torque which compenses the non linearity. Anti-Cogging is one part of that game.

Real noise cancellation takes place later, when the engines in a system start to make the enclosure resonate. A combination of a mic and antiphase loudspeaker mounted on the device is the first step to do. I already did this for some devices to calm them in military and surgery environments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back