Linux and Teensyduino

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teenfor3

I am doing an install of Arduino IDE and Teensyduino on a linux laptop
I have Linux Debian 7 wheezy and installed Arduino 1.8.5 and all installed and runs OK. I then downloaded the Teensyduino installer and attempted to install. I downloaded the extra files and copied them to the udev folder, chmod755 the Teensyduino, and attempted to run the installer by doing ./TeensyduinoInstall.linux32 ....but it tells me it needs GLIBC version 2.15. Can that be corrected by downloading a package or do I need a newer version of Linux......Is there any step by step instructions for linux Arduino/Teensy installs...???

Thanks for the link.....I had read through it before but so many options......?????
I have now clicked on the option getting started and got the glibc and run the first option to build with out install.
all seems to go OK, I created the folders etc but when run make get a long list of checking some flagged yes, some flagged bad etc etc.
maybe the glibc downloaded in too new and needing a newer version of linux???
so I think it is just going to keep coming up with more and more problems
I just noticed on the PJRC forum announcements that Linux x86 is tested only on Ubuntu.....????
So I might be better to install that.....Will Arduino/Teensy work on the latest versions OR what version should I install.
My laptop is an old Win7 machine that I put Linux on to see what it would do and it runs OK, so I can install any version of Linux required.

I have it installed on Ubuntu 16.04 (64 bit) without any problems that I know of... My guess is it would work fine with some of the other releases as well as probably on MINT and probably others as well.

I have not tried later versions as on these boards/machines I am using ROS and it is setup to use the LTE versions.

I just noticed on the PJRC forum announcements that Linux x86 is tested only on Ubuntu.....????
So I might be better to install that.....Will Arduino/Teensy work on the latest versions

So far it hasn't been tested on Ubuntu 18.04, which was released only a few days ago.

Ubuntu 14.04 and 16.04 are known to work well.

Hardly anyone uses 32 bit x86 Linux anymore. I noticed you mentioned downloading the linux32 file. If you have a 64 bit system, you need to use the 64 bit version. If your PC is capable of 64 bits (all modern ones are), install a x86 64 bit version of Linux.

PC is an old Win7 that was replaced....but tried Linux on it a few years ago and it worked far faster on linux than windows ever did on it so I kept it...I googled its spec and it say inter 64 technology.....so might be 64 bit.....????...this is its details....
Lenovo 3000 C200 8922 (Core 2 Duo 1.66 GHz, 1 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD)

I thought it would have run teensy, but its probably the old version of debian that is the problem...
I try Ubuntu 16 and 64 bit and see....thanks

You can tell whether it's running in 32- or 64-bit mode using "uname -a"

Code:
Linux xps15 4.13.0-39-generic #44-Ubuntu SMP Thu Apr 5 14:25:01 UTC 2018 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

The "x86_64" bits mean 64-bit mode. If it says i386 or i686, then you're running in 32-bit mode.
If you're running in 64-bit mode, you need to download and use the 64-bit versions of the Arduino IDE and the Teensyduino installer.

I downloaded the 64 bit iso for the Ubuntu 16.04 but PC would not boot with it, told me needed i386 32 bit, so did the iso for 32 bit Ubuntu 16.04 and booted and installed OK, it runs well....there was option to install along side the Debian so did that (probably shouldnt) but means old stuff is still there..2 logins now..... Downloaded Arduino 185 all works OK.....not sure how to install.......the install.sh script....??? .....from terminal I did apt-get install install.sh.....there was a bit of a list flashed up the screen couldn't find things probably but the desktop icon was there and works......what is the proper procedure here..???. Also the TeensyduinoInstall.linux32.....I just did ./TeensyduinoInstall.linux32 and it worked.

Since 16.04 is all GUI is there an all GUI way of doing things....??
Thanks.............

PS.....In system setting this is what it told me my PC was .....Intel® Celeron(R) M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz .....2 GB Ram 32bit

If you downloaded the Arduino and expanded it into a directory.

You can then: simply open a command prompt: <ctrl><alt>T
cd to the directory and I believe simply type: ./install.sh

It will do a few things including add an Icon to the desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back