Surface-Mounting Teensy 3.2 to PCB

Status
Not open for further replies.

stw

Hi there. Very new here (not new to Teensy's in general, but) so sorry if this is the wrong place. Also sorry if this has been asked before - I searched "PCB", "PCB mount", "teensy PCB" etc and couldn't find anything specific.

I want to mount my Teensy to a PCB. I've done this in the past for an ECG Wave Amplifier & Display project, however I just used female headers and placed it in. This time, I want to surface-mount it (using paste and reflow oven obviously), for two reasons. The first being access to the USB line (as the project will be in an enclosure which has an external USB port already mounted), so I can breakout from this and send the tracks to the already existing USB port as programming on the go is a must; the second being access to a few extra IO pins which is always handy.

ggf.JPG

Any tips on doing this? Is there dimensions I can find somewhere so I can make the appropriate footprint? And are there any forseable problems?

Thank you! :D

Thanks for the reply Oddson, I did find that page but the main thing I'm after is the dimension of the surface mount pads on the bottom (which I can't seem to see on the dimension drawings on that page?).

I'm thinking I could use one of the STEP models in Altium and work out the pitch/distance from there, but I suppose those aren't official models so I'm a little concerned.

Others have made bottom fit boards with castellated cuts to solder too. They are on OSHPark and linked around here on the forum - one was by 'Frank B'. Some of those likely have some sort of drawing?

I used to work for a company that reflowed Teensy 3.2 boards onto their custom PCBs. They were able to make it work but with caveats:

• Typical PCB manufacturers will not guarantee this to work
  • The yield problems will be yours to pay for
  • Troubleshooting can be a bit inconvenient

It's also not that hard to just layout the teensy components and buy the bootloader ics pre-programmed from Paul... we've manufactured almost 20k teensy clone flightboards in the last few years at Flybrix.

Yup. Our layout guy recreated the layout (but with smaller pin headers) so that if the on board Teensy recreation didn't work, others could still get work done by soldering a real Teensy 3.2 to the board.

did anyone ever get to the bottom of this? i'm designing a pcb that the teensy will stick into. i will put right angle headers on the flat pads on the bottom side and then have my teensy footprint for my board include all pins, outside and in. but i can't find these pad dimensions anywhere and really prefer not to eyeball it. oh also i don't have my teensy 3.2 yet so i can't measure myself.

I used to work for a company that reflowed Teensy 3.2 boards onto their custom PCBs. They were able to make it work but with caveats:

• Typical PCB manufacturers will not guarantee this to work
  • The yield problems will be yours to pay for
  • Troubleshooting can be a bit inconvenient

Do you have a link to the boards they made ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back