Using signal processing features in the SGTL5000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beavis

From the documentation in the Audio System Design Tool, It says that autoVolumeControl Configures the auto volume control, which is implemented as a compressor/expander or hard limiter.

It also says If hardLimit is 0, a 'soft knee' compressor is used, and If it is 1, a hard compressor is used , but I don't get how the expander works. I don't actually need to use that feature, but think I may have trouble using the hard limiter if I don't understand such closely related functionality.

What I am trying to do is simply have a hard limiter on the analog line in, which has no effect under normal usage, but will step in to prevent any input signals that are too high from adding any clipped edges to the audio. A moment of "squashed" tone would be OK since I'm more concerned with preventing damage to amp & speakers, and poor sound in general.

If I call autoVolumeEnable() without first using autoVolumeControl(maxGain, response, hardLimit, threshold, attack, decay);, are there default values used for the parameters? (and how to find these values) I want to keep everything "stock" in my music signal, and just use the hardLimit feature as layer of protection which would otherwise be out of the picture under normal operating conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back