A DX7 (Fm synthesis) replacement with Dexed on a Teensy

Interesting. So it seems it might be an issue with the Teensy Audio Board or the cabling. I think i have a PCM5102A - maybe i can test it with it.

Your ILI9341 does not have a touchscreen or is this an other issue ?
I will make sure that everything essential continues to work without a touchscreen but some features obviously will not work, like the virtual keyboard.

I made a short video about some of the newer stuff like the 32/64th fast arpeggiator mode and a pwm bass playing on the 2 monosynths together with dexed.
Sorry for the audio crackling, i recorded directly over usb audio and that seems to have issues, at least when using quicktime player for recording audio and video and at the same time using the MicroDexed remoteconsole that mirrors the screen content directly from the device to your pc screen. (In theory, using this, you could control Microdexed-touch without any own TFT display or DAC, at least for testing purposes.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LySQrES91iU

Interesting. So it seems it might be an issue with the Teensy Audio Board or the cabling. I think i have a PCM5102A - maybe i can test it with it.

Your ILI9341 does not have a touchscreen or is this an other issue ?

I think it's just good grounding that you get with a four layer PCB. Any noises I get are from USB plugged from a pc which can be eliminated with a cheap isolator in between. My display has no touchscreen as it didn't come with one and my synth isn't designed to use one.
It uses a PCM5102A PCB and TeensyMM, but there's nothing particularly special about the design.

Hello Metal,

as far as i know, there are no modifications on the Encoder Library so you should be able to use your existing version. If not, you could copy the library into the project (or somewhere else) and change the path for the include to this destination.

Sounds like a good starting point...

Super happy!

My little Echo / Teensy Development board now thinks it's a DX7.

20220426_161710.jpg20220426_162054.jpg

The solution to my earlier problems was to install the latest Arduino and Teensy bundles, and then compile on a clean platform, a MacMini running High Sierra. A couple of warnings but otherwise a clean build.

that are great news! But your MicroDexed looks a little bit strange to me :_))

About the compile warnings, i only get then at the first compile time. After that, i get a warning-free compile.

Ah and it seems you have not connected the USB Host Port, yet. I suggest to do so, that you can directly connect a MIDI Keyboard/Controller while having it connected also to the PC.

PH - WOW I was never a fan of the dx7. Sorry went from seq cts 6 trx to a jx8p, try then d50 and been Roland boy ever since. Played a T1 in the early 90s but didn't realize I could afford one so went back to roland. BUT your piano is hands down one of the highest quality synth Sims I have heard. You guys really should be proud of your work. That being said I am just starting to dip into the home brew arena again and so far have several boards that don't do what they should. However I saw the teensy synth on YT and liked his teaching style, so of course I bought a 4.1 before I understood the differences. Do you think this (the tsynth not your epic build) is a decent place to start? Again you guys are doing awesome work. Keep going. J

hey mindwave,

the tsynth is trying to emulate an analog synth with 6 voices + filters + envelopes and i think that it is. so yes, i would say that is a good starting point because it will cover how the most basic parts of teensy + audio lib do work, in general.

PH. Thanks for the recommendation. 3nd question ( most of my experience is with the RASPIs , can I swap the 4.1 in directly? The 3.2 is out of stock for almost a year. A few dealers on Alibaba claim they have them but $100 is just rediculous, imho.

Thx

J

Back