Anti-Spam efforts, May 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a good thing I disabled private messaging a long time ago. I just hope that they don't start spamming via the mail-button.

A common way to stop that kind of spam is to disable PMs and similar to users with less than a certain number of posts.
(One of the reasons many spammers posts 'I love this' or other useless posts )

Hi,

I have the same problem as user Bart reported in this thread: I can not access this forum using my regular IP, I had to use a VPN connection and I just registered as a member to be able to write this message (and access the forum). I get the message that my IP was banned and I can not even read the forum.

I am also from Belgium by the way.. could it be that you are blocking IPs based on region? Any other users from Belgium encountered this problem?

Anyway, it would be great if this could be unblocked.. I am a legitimate customer of Teensy boards, there is no reason why my IP should be banned, and I would like to access the forum without having to use a VPN.

Thanks

Blocking of an IP address follows a violation of the forum rules, in 99% of cases spamming. In case of repeated spamming from IP addresses belonging to the same provider, all IPs of that provider might be blocked via the provider’s ASN since the latter doesn’t seem to care about the activities of their clients.

If you think that your IP or your provider’s ASN is blocked by error, please let the forum admins know the IP address and your provider’s ASN for further investigation.

OK thank you.

Probably a stupid question, but how can I do that exactly? I went through the faq but can not find it.

I found the "private messages" area, but the recipients box is free text. I also found the list of users, but there are thousands of them and a search for "admin" does not turn up anything useful.

I would rather not post my public IP in the forum.

Thanks

Indeed a bad side effect of an endless presentation of spammers - looking at the blocked list of user names is hundreds of pages of 50? And the list of related IP's blocked to keep them from repeating is huge

pjrc.com contact page : https://www.pjrc.com/about/contact.html - try sending your IP to address to email there maybe it can be whitelisted.

Not sure if that is the best way ... but give it a try ...

If you PM defragster - maybe a note might get it done on the moderator IP block page ...

If you send a message requesting your IP number to be unblocked and added to a whitelist, I hope you will understand the need to actually say what your public IP number is in that message! Obvious as this sounds, the reality is most of the people who send a message do not say their IP number. Don't send a message without your IP number.

If you don't know your IP number, use this page to check it.

https://whatismyipaddress.com/

If your ISP dynamically changes your IP number, and they also are hosting a large number of spammers (nearly all internet providers in Pakistan & India do this), I'm afraid there is no good long-term solution for direct access.

But you can use a VPN service. Some of those services host spammers too, so try to get one that gives some sort of free trial period. Or choose a VPN service which offers a static/stable IP number we can unblock.

Quick idea: Try to take a look on browser identifiers
navigator.appName, navigator.appVersion, navigator.platform
sometimes in the past most of the spam come from the same engine, returning a very specific string, some customized browser

Hey I don't know if this is the right place to ask but I think at least it's related; All my devices are blocked/ IP banned when I try to use them from my home, but work fine when I'm out at a friends house, at makerspace, or university. So I figure it's my home router / IP, but I'm not very enlightened on networking issues. But is there a way to fix it?

I understand there's been issues with spam, but my internet shouldn't have had anything to do with it (unless previous resident was doing it), and it'd be really nice if I didn't have to go out in order to ask or look up anything on this forum. :s
Is there a way to fix it?

It’s not forcibly about your specific IP address. Internet providers own normally a whole range of IP addresses. If the forum’s anti-spam protection sees too much spam from the same provider’s ip addresses, it might have been easier to block the whole range instead of 30, 40, or 100 individual addresses. You should not publish your private (probably blocked) IP address here in the forums, but you might send a private message containing it to one of the senior+ members, explaining your problem, for further investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back